1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monster In Chief

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Trust NoOne

Trust NoOne Member

I'm also reasonably sure Fenian didn't murder 2,500 U.S. soldiers, either.

Because, at the end of the day, that's what we're talking about here.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hey, there's only one JR here! :)

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Also reviewed yesterday in the uber liberal New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/20/books/20kaku.html

Mr. Suskind writes that the war on terror gave the president and vice president "vast, creative prerogatives": "to do what they want, when they want to, for whatever reason they decide" and to "create whatever reality was convenient."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Why must young Americans, born into a land exultant with hope and with golden promise, toil and suffer and sometimes die in such a remote and distant place?

The answer, like the war itself, is not an easy one, but it echoes clearly from the painful lessons of half a century. Three times in my lifetime, in two World Wars and in Korea, Americans have gone to far lands to fight for freedom. We have learned at a terrible and a brutal cost that retreat does not bring safety and weakness does not bring peace.

It is this lesson that has brought us to Viet-Nam. This is a different kind of war. There are no marching armies or solemn declarations. Some citizens of South Viet-Nam at times, with understandable grievances, have joined in the attack on their own government.

But we must not let this mask the central fact that this is really war. It is guided by North Viet-Nam and it is spurred by Communist China. Its goal is to conquer the South, to defeat American power, and to extend the Asiatic dominion of communism.

LBJ

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That Asiatic dominion of communism is really working, isn't it?

6. danny_whitten

danny_whitten Member

Anyone catch Frontline last night? It's the most damning documentary yet of our invasion for oil. It'll be re-run tonight, or Thursday at 2 a.m. The CIA has its say, finally.

7. More Suskind.

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2006/06/20/911pdb/index.html

Dumbass.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Boom, as usual, manages an unattributed, irrelevant quote.

Good work, Sparky.

9. Boom_70

First, we intent to convince the Communists that we cannot be defeated by force of arms or by superior power. They are not easily convinced. In recent months they have greatly increased their fighting forces and their attacks and the number of incidents.

I have asked the Commanding General, General Westmoreland, what more he needs to meet this mounting aggression. He has told me. We will meet his needs.

I have today ordered to Viet-Nam the Air Mobile Division and certain other forces which will raise our fighting strength from 75,000 to 125,000 men almost immediately. Additional forces will be needed later, and they will be sent as requested.

This will make it necessary to increase our active fighting forces by raising the monthly draft call from 17,000 over a period of time to 35,000 per month, and for us to step up our campaign for voluntary enlistments.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Boom actually attributed the quote, JR. It was none other than Lyndon Baines Johnson.

And it's mighty relevant because it's a foreshadowing of a fight that many still, to this day, question its legitimacy. People who forget history are doomed to repeat it and even if Vietnam isn't a complete parallel, it's enough of one for people to recognize a quagmire and begin to question why we're really there.

11. Boom_70

thank you Alley - well said - JR likes to fire before he thinks. I doubt he would have recognized that quote was taken from one of LBJ's infamosr speeches when he committed more troops to Nam.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Ahh ... that caption never fails to make me laugh!

And Fenian is cool, not a ... fucktard??

Draft saved Draft deleted