1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monopoly money

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

With the exception of playing a game for a living, being rich and somewhat famous, being able to live in his own mansion, drive expensive cars, eat at the finest restaurants, go on exotic vacations, fuck groupies, fly on charter jets, send kids to the best schools and stuff like that, it really is just like slavery.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Also he can quit anytime he wants.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That too. But otherwise...

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've heard athletes say they consider themselves to be high-paid slaves. Why is this such a big deal?

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Because it cheapens the term and the memory of those who went through the actual horror of slavery. You wouldn't call a team HQ a concentration camp, and you don't call voluntary work slavery.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't know about cheapening a term. It was figure of speech. Again, I've heard athletes say the term before.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe they were cheapening it, too.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't know. I've never asked them but I do remember having a conversation with Charles Barkley on it.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, well please, let's all take our cue for what's an intelligent thing to say from Charles Fucking Barkley.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

LMAO ...

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Let me clarify: I like Barkley. I really do. I think he's great on the TNT coverage, and I'd probably vote for him if he ran for anything because I like train wrecks.

But he's not exactly known for his well-thought-out and nuanced opinions on race and athletics in America.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh I totally agree. I like Barkley, too. I was laughing at your reaction, which was pretty damn good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.