1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monica Seles stabbed: 20 years ago today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

"Unemployed," especially.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Was he unemployed? Did he stab her? Then unemployed sicko is applicable.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Mathematically impossible, actually, since she never won Wimbledon. She had won 6 of the previous 8 majors (and 7 of 9). Incredible feat, but it's hard to "own" someone you beat 1 out of every 3 times.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Stabbing an athlete to help her rival proves it.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I blame Bruce Jenkins; bad source. Anyways, I believe Seles was on the upswing and would have dominated Graf for the coming years (as much as I adored and respected Graf).

Unfortunately, we'll never know because Parche took this away from us.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I don't think Seles' game was as well-rounded as Graf's. Graf was able to make the adjustment to playing on grass better. I don't know that Seles would have ever won Wimbledon, unless it was one of those years when Graf and Navratilova lost early and Seles got a real good draw.

But, hey, Conchita Martinez won Wimbledon in 1994, beating Martina in the final, no less, so I suppose anything is possible. Still a definite hall of famer.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Graf won Wimbledon because she had a big 1st serve and had a very tough slice backhand (in addition to the huge forehand.)

Seles would have won Wimbledon at some point because although she was a baseliner, she hit the ball on the rise, which was perfect for grass.

Draft saved Draft deleted