1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monica Lewinsky back in the news

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, May 7, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The Washington Times will stay far, far away from the policies of the prior Clinton administration.

2. Dick Whitman

Ruth Marcus = "the press."

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

While I think Jeb would be fine, I'm not burning for him to be the nominee or the President.

But, I do find it funny how "the media" and Democratic party are super excited by the prospect of a Hillary candidacy, but find the idea of a Jeb candidacy to be suicide inducing.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's because there is very little substance to it.

That's something that by and large the American public agrees on. Rehashing the facts is a worthless exercise.

This is like the politics equivalent of baseball and steroids -- the world moved on from it so many years ago, and a small faction of media members thinks it's still the biggest issue of the day.

5. Dick Whitman

poindexter = "the media."

6. YankeeFan

A) Do they really count?

2) What are the odds they will ever have a chance to ask a question of Hillary Clinton

The big networks and the national newspapers do have a responsibility, and they can't shirk it off because they know the Washington Times will handle it. The Washington Times is not in a position to "handle" it in the way the New York Times or ABC News could.

7. Dick Whitman

Hopefully the plucky local upstart the Wall Street Journal will still be around by then.

8. YankeeFan

Does she not personify the Washington elite media?

No, not at all. And, I almost put in a disclaimer to make that clear, but didn't think it necessary.

But, prove me wrong.

Who are the mainstream voices in the media hoping Hillary won't run?*

Who is clamoring for Jeb to run in the mainstream media?

* I'll grant you that Time Brown tried to generate some news for herself with this goofy column:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/02/don-t-run-for-president-hillary-become-a-post-president-instead.html

9. YankeeFan

Yeah, I can't wait for Hillary to sit down for an interview with the WSJ. LOL.

10. Dick Whitman

So "she won't have to answer for the prior White House policies" has been narrowed to "no one will ask her directly about her husband's 'war on women' in a sit-down interview that she hand-selects."

OK.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Is that Hillary Bush vs. Jeb Clinton?

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm guessing there's a reason why this media coverage doesn't count:

Monica Lewinsky: Feminists failed me

The founder of Jezebel:

“I am uncomfortable with the idea that 'feminists' failed Ms. Lewinsky. I am far more comfortable with the idea that certain high-profile activists, intellectuals and writers who’d exhibited a measure of sophistication and sensitivity with regards to gender politics failed her, and failed her big time. I wish that Monica Lewinsky had parsed the explicit ways in which other women failed her, and the ways in which some women have long been socialized to fail one another, rather than making seemingly grand pronouncements about ‘feminists’ and ignoring the myriad of ways in which those who think and write about gender politics have reinterpreted the events of 1998 in the years that followed.”

Monica Lewinsky Is the Perfect Person to Kick Off the Conversation About Hillary Clinton's Presidency

No, details of the affair itself don’t have any bearing on Clinton’s qualifications as a still-imaginary 2016 candidate for the White House. But reckoning with what happened two decades ago to both Lewinsky and to Hillary Clinton—in the press, in feminist discourse, in popular culture, and in the American imagination—is very relevant to how we think and talk about women, sex, and power, and those issues will in turn be central to how we understand Clinton’s next potential political campaign.

Draft saved Draft deleted