1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MoneyLeague Draft

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lawrenceofalabia, Oct 4, 2006.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Re: Hotstove Fantasy Baseball

I got it the first time. Just didn't like it. It's called an opinion. They happen sometimes.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Jesus Christ.

I looked at the first entry in the thread, and was planning to post the Some Idiots Allowed standings and all that. And then every fucking body turns 5 years old.

Any final decision on who has the biggest penis?

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

5 inches ... but thick.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Third-grade shotty, not kindergarten. :D

5. Re: Hotstove Fantasy Baseball

The Winner's checks from sponsor National Sports Preservation Foundation have been negotiated into hard cash by the top finishers in the SportsJournalists.com Money League.

To confirm this, I had to go and see Brittney Alvarez, a beautiful Honduran who works at NSPF. What a chore. But I went to see her. Apparently, she has a crush on the NewJerseyChubbs manager, known to you as outofplace here on SportsJournalists.com. I guess that comes with winning the SportsJournalists.com MoneyLeague regular season and championship; and the $300.00 that goes with it.

Congrats again to the NJChubbs, managed by outofplace, on winning both the regular season and championship the inaugural year of the SportsJournalists.com MoneyLeague.

Now that the Winners have their cash, in the next few months we should decide how the league will shape up for 2007.

There are several things to discuss during the offseason. Some are generally:
    1) payouts for next year
    2) rules for next year
    3) managers for next year.

Below is a list of the final standings of the SportsJournalists.com MoneyLeague.

Regular Season
    *1. New Jersey Chubbs 151-89-24 .617

*2. Pale Ale Hose 149-91-24 .610 2
    *3. Winnin' Ugly 139-106-19 .563 14.5
    *4. Sterling Silver 133-116-15 .532 22.5
    *5. LoganYoungsMoney 133-117-14 .530 23
    *6. RedStockings 126-120-18 .511 28
    7. Slapnuts 124-120-20 .508 29
    8. Mizzou Mafia 120-120-24 .500 31
    9. Beaver Retrievers 106-131-27 .453 43.5
    10. Operation Pantsload108-136-20 .447 45
    11. Murphy's Bleachers 94-147-23 .400 57.5
    12. The Cleveland Rocks72-162-30 .330 76

Playoffs

· 1st
    New Jersey Chubbs
    · 2nd
    Pale Ale Hose
    · 3rd
    LoganYoungsMoney

Quarterfinal (1) New Jersey Chubbs Bye
    Quarterfinal (4) Sterling Silver vs. (5) LoganYoungsMoney
    Quarterfinal (3) Winnin' Ugly vs. (6) RedStockings
    Quarterfinal (2) Pale Ale Hose Bye

Semifinal (1) New Jersey Chubbs vs. (5) LoganYoungsMoney
    Semifinal (6) RedStockings vs. (2) Pale Ale Hose

Final (1) New Jersey Chubbs vs. (2) Pale Ale Hose

League Champion (1) New Jersey Chubbs

3rd Place Game (5) LoganYoungsMoney vs. (6) RedStockings
    3rd Place Winner (5) LoganYoungsMoney

5th Place Game (4) Sterling Silver vs. (3) Winnin' Ugly
    5th Place Winner (3) Winnin' Ugly

As announced earlier in this thread to other managers in SportsJournalists.com land: Post your league’s regular season and championship standings here.

The SportsJournalists.com MoneyLeague will take up to four new managers this year. Regular season and playoff champions and their runners-up in all SportsJournalists.com originated leagues will be given consideration.

6. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Webby/Douglas need to make a "monitor a poster" function on this site, so I can keep track of BigDog's posts more easily.

That way, I can constantly remind myself of what not to do or be like in every day life: A fucking Grade A douchebag.

But hey, he's got those two NIABL titles!!!

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Slapnuts will be back to defend our seventh-place finish.

If I can still be part of the non-cool-kids club.

8. outofplace

We'll take you over Big Dog any day, Zeke.

I didn't even realize that was your team. I would have grabbed every Twin I could find and offered them to you in trades if I had. :)

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hey, taking Mauer and Liriano didn't work out too bad for me, did it?

A weak outfielding corps that had to be pieced together day to day did me in.

But I, like Terry Ryan, will make a series of quiet and unassuming deals and be back next year.

10. outofplace

Thanks. I managed to keep my wife from seeing the lipstick on Brittney's note, so all is good there. :)

Regarding the changes for next year, is our sponsor willing to come back? I'd like to keep the money as it was this year (particularly the part where I win it), but I'll go along with putting up some cash for the pot if the others want to.

One rule I would like to change, and I know you won't like this, is a limit on the number of roster moves. Even a very liberal one, like maybe 8 moves a week or something along those lines. I'm not a big fan of turning over half the pitching staff every day.

Just a thought to get started on.

11. Re: Hotstove Fantasy Baseball

Very good Chubbs. That does get us started. I knew a roster move limit would be one of the first issues tabled…as it should be.

I will make some suggestions soon on the settings for the league. I think that is going to be a challenge, because the settings are sometimes related and do affect each other somewhat. I will have to look at our league from last year to see, but I think we had short benches. So, for instance, I might suggest a deeper bench to combine with the roster move limit.

Payouts
    Much easier to talk about and more fun.

National Sports Preservation Foundation is committed to 2007. Their $600.00 commitment has value in a second year. If we leverage it, with each team kicking in some money, the pot could easily reach $1,200.00 for 2007.

This investment could be justified to the managers based on the payouts.

I would suggest the bottom four spots go for $100.00 and the top eight kick in $25.00. This formula would raise $600.00 for the prize money to combine with NSPF’s $600.00 contribution. If the team contribution sounds pricey, think of the payoff.

Last year’s payout was structured as follows:
    Prize Money
    Regular Season
    !st place: 150.00
    2nd place: 75.00
    3rd place: 50.00
    4th place: 25.00
    Total: 300.00

Playoffs
    !st place: 150.00
    2nd place: 75.00
    3rd place: 50.00
    4th place: 25.00
    Total: 300.00

Of course a $1,200.00 pot could be structured much more generously.

2007 could be structured as follows:
    Prize Money
    Regular Season
    !st place: 300.00
    2nd place: 150.00
    3rd place: 100.00
    4th place: 50.00
    Total: 600.00

Playoffs
    !st place: 300.00
    2nd place: 150.00
    3rd place: 100.00
    4th place: 50.00
    Total: 600.00

Note:
    -The fifth and sixth place regular season finishers, have a
    shot at all of the playoff money.

This money structure seems much more significant. And with NSPF’s sponsorship, it is not so difficult or painful to get there.

To make it happen:
    1) the top eight managers need to agree to kick in $25.00. That should not be difficult considering most are already showing a profit from 2006.

2) The last four spots are bid to prospective managers that want a shot at $600.00 or part of the $1,200.00 pool, and a chance to stay in the MoneyLeague at $25.00/yr in the future. There may be four managers from SportsJournalists.com that placed well in their league in 2006 that are interested. The 2006 MoneyLeague managers in the last four spots could be invited to bid as well. A couple of those managers are very good, but just had an off year.

Overall, I think the prize money will make most of the managers even better.

12. outofplace

Re: MoneyLeague Hotstove

I don't mind that, assuming we can get four new owners to pony up $100 apiece. I know part of the draw for me before last season was the fact that there was a pot, but no entry fee. But I could handle $25.

I like a deep bench. That rewards good scouting and offers more options if you have too many injuries at once. I think adding more bench spots while restricting moves somewhat is a good idea. Unlimited moves when you have daily transactions is what gets a bit crazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted