1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Money vs. Happiness

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thegrifter, Apr 28, 2008.

1. ostentatious

ostentatious Member

i grew up living on my mom making $25 per resume she wrote, but gas was also under a buck a gallon. now, i work 40 hours a week to feel like i'm in the same position i was 20 years ago.

fu...fu....fu....FUCK

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Yeah, what Dooley said.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I spend 85% of what I make. The other 15% goes into 401(k).

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

My old motto used to be "I'd rather be twice as happy making half as much."

Now, I'm looking to go to back to school and quit this fucking business, which, if you can't tell, no longer makes me happy — nor makes me money.

5. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Money can't buy you happiness, but it's a good start.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Happiness.
    If you're not happy with where you're living or you dread going into the office each day, then why bother with the money?
    If you're happy with where you are you learn to live within your means. If you're not happy that can only add to the stress of life and work, which means the extra money will go to therapy or the doctor as the stress can wear you down to the point where the money's not worth it.

7. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Money is worthless. Send it to me, and you'll be much happier.

8. Fixed.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How'd you get permission to look into my bank account

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Alcohol is cheaper than talking to someone with a fancy degree for 50 minutes a week.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why is everyone convinced they are going to hate the higher-paying job? It's become such a cliche.

12. I think you're joking, but psychiatry is a legitimate science. You shouldn't trivialize it. They spend four years in medical school, then four years as residents. Is it an imperfect science at this point? Aren't they all? But they aren't carnival barkers, either.

I just get a little peeved at anti-intellectualism (snarky comments about "fancy degrees").

Now, onto the OP: Your situation is a little different, because you are comparing two concrete ideas. But the biggest myth on this board is that financial security and "happiness" are mutually exclusive. It is also advanced by many powers that be in the business to keep employees in check.

Work 4 to midnight? Weekends? For $12-15/hour?

"Hey, at least your happy."

Are you kidding me???

A lot, lot, lot of one's perspective on this stuff changes when you get married and start thinking children. A whole lot of it.

Also, people are too judgmental of what kind of lifestyle other people want to lead. We sneer when we say things like "Hawaiian vacation." OK, I'd sure as hell like to take a Hawaiian vacation every year. Does that make me a shallow person? I'd like to be able to see more movies in the theater instead of on the 25-incher. Does this reflect poorly on me? There was a discussion on here about a week ago in which people were absolutely raked over the coals for wanting to buy a new Toyota Corolla.

I wish we could get past the stigma associated with financial security. It clouds our perspective and impairs any legitimate discussion on the topic. And I'm not just talking about on here, but in life.

Draft saved Draft deleted