1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Money vs. Happiness

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thegrifter, Apr 28, 2008.

1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Have any of you ever found yourselves struggling with that internal debate?
    Shouldn't it be easier choosing between loving your low-paying job or hatin the high-paying one?
    Just stuck wondering if anyone else has taken a step back in their professional career in order to achieve personal happiness?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I will always choose money.

Money can buy therapy. Happiness won't pay the electric bill.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Money buys security. Security provides a level of contentment.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It's been my experience that the slaps who say "money can't buy happiness" weren't in a position where they were living paycheck to paycheck and hoping to God the gas in the tank lasts four more days because they only had $5.98 left in the bank after buy groceries and paying the light bill.

5. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Good point! Made I need to start investing in the therapy now that the electic bill is paid.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I guess it depends on the level of poor-ness we're talking about.

I've never been so poor that I couldn't afford a house, a car, food, clothes ... just not that Hawaiian vacation.

I've had jobs where I could afford all of the above ... but the stress levels were so high I wished I could go back to the lower-paying job.

7. I think you need a certain level of money to survive. Without that, you'll never be happy.
    That said, I have poor relatives and rich ones. Without exception, the poorer ones are happier.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I echo 2muchcoffeeman and imjustagirl.

Security is good. Being able to afford things is good.

9. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

My thing is, I grew up without much money. And I have been fortunate enough to have decent jobs in journalism.
    But now that I have one of those "dream jobs," nothing about it feels as rewarding as working some of the smaller papers i enjoyed.
    Have any of you ever made the decision to find happiness at the smaller paper? To leave a summit you thought you were working years to reach?

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I've been without money. And I've had lots of money. Then I was without the money. Then I had lots and lots and lots of money. One will always spend what one makes. Go for happy. Trust me on this one.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That last post made me seasick.

Anyhoo, I find that your budget always manages to somehow swallow up about all you make, no matter how much you make.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Welcome to my life now.

But, I'm making money here I could never make at the paper I wish I'd never left. So I'm caught in the middle. But with six credit card payments, car insurance, storage unit, cell phone, student loans, gas, etc...I simply can't move back.

Draft saved Draft deleted