1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Money on the Web

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by prezclinton, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That's all I was getting at, that print ads or even many online ads at least are passive enough that I can focus on them or ignore them as I see fit. But if you make me "close out" pop-up ads that dominate my screen or sit through "commercials" in audio or video, at a time when my DVR saves me from doing that with network TV shows, I'll skip that content altogether. Especially given the low-fi production values of most newspapers' chintzy multi-media attempts. Your ads have to sneak up on me -- if I feel like they're being shoved down my throat, it will alienate me and other readers/clickers. Don't think newspaper companies want to be doing that these days, do they?

2. bake1234

bake1234 Member

Sponsorships. I think NewsOK.com had Dodge sponsor their videos on OU-OSU....why not have sponsors for big-ticket things online? So in refers in the paper, it's for more, check out the State U blog presented by Ford at newspaper.com. ESPN does it and makes it work. And, as much as I hate ESPN for those stupid things, I'd rather bow down to that kind of product placement than lose my job.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I like where this is going. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

Draft saved Draft deleted