1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Money ceiling

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SilverAndBlack, Feb 10, 2010.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I'm looking at Media Relations work and all the jobs I'm seeing are offering double and very close to it in terms of salary...biggest reason I'm looking at making the leap. Seen several friends do it and no regrets.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

If you can get a job that pays double what you're making right now, given this economy, why wouldn't you take it? New job would have to be enormously horrible for me to regret doubling my salary right now.

3. House

House Member

Speaking of money ceiling, I've been at my current paper so long that I make barely $1,500 less than section editors. So if a spot came open and I wanted a promotion, it's nothing in terms of cash and a shitload more responsibility that won't be compensated to my liking. Thank God I started day classes to get the hell out of this.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I disagree. There are tons of better restaurant/bars in the Pensacola/FW/Destin area, in my opinion.

I was lucky enough to find a bunch of them during my two years in that neck of the woods.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I realized I had reached about the highest rung on the salary/promotion ladder I was gonna reach when I bailed in 2005.

I started out writing sports and news at the Podunk Press at about $7/hour and worked my way up to a 40K (Sunday) paper where I was making about 35K as the assistant desk/design chief.

My situation was a little different, however, as I had not finished my education, at the time. I wasn't great at the job, but I think I was better than the average guy at 25.

6. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

Doing what on the Web, if you don't mind me asking ... and are you hiring? :)

7. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

FuturaBold: In newspaper terms I'm an asst. SE. But instead of having headaches each night when I get home, I instead just realize how lucky I am to have made the switch.

And at this point, no, we're not hiring.

Draft saved Draft deleted