1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Money Ball the movie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Sep 13, 2011.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I have to say, seeing Brad Pitt in "Spy Game" with Robert Redford however many years ago, I had the thought that Pitt was going to be the next Redford. Good looking guy, projects a sense of cool, great actor.

Now, seeing him in the trailers for Moneyball, my god, he's starting to look just like Redford. Am I alone in thinking that? Anyone? Bueller?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Side note: I got an e-mail from work today that I can download two free passes for Moneyball for next Wednesday or Thursday night. I won't go. So ... there's that.

3. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Toby Jones was a far better Capote than Hoffman. Brad Pitt is a highly underrated comedic actor (very funny in True Romance and Mr. and Mrs. Smith) but really seems lost in dramas/action type movies like Troy.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hoffman wasn't trying to mimic Capote. He was trying to create a believable character.

You don't have to know anything about Truman Capote--or even heard of him---to appreciate the film. This was not a documentary.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Hoffman is my favorite actor working today, with Christian Bale right there and Ryan Gosling gaining ground.

I base this on a little test: If I was selected to direct a film and knew nothing of the script, yet had to select one actor to be the film's main star, who would it be? The character might be a superhero, a serial killer, a doctor, a lawyer, a garbage man. Hoffman has a huge, huge range as an actor.

6. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

CI, those qualities you described make me think of Johnny Depp who I would say is the most talented actor working today. Robert Downey Jr. and Michael Sheen are close though.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

From what I've read, sounds like a good movie to watch when it comes on HBO.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Count me among the fans of Hoffman's work.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

If only to have been in the pitch meeting for this one: "Baseball contracts! Statheads! SABERMETRICIANS!"

"Throw in Brad Pitt and a car chase, and you've got a deal!"

Reminds me of "Being John Malkovich". After the producers pitched it, the studio guys said, "Can't we call it Being Tom Cruise?

To paraphrase Brian Wilson, "Floparoo. Write it down."

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Like I said, I'll be seeing it on opening night. I imagine I'll have many of the same criticisms as Law, just because I know the book and baseball to well. I'm curious to see what my wife thinks. I'm guessing it won't be a flop at all. I bet it'll be a hit, at least a modest one. No one in Hollywood thinks that a movie about baseball stats would be a hit without a compelling personal hook. This will be way more about Bill Beane - the character of Billy Beane, not necessarily the person we're familiar with - than sabermetrics.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Well, if you put a flick on 3,000 screens, yes, you'll make some money.

But a movie full of people talking in rooms about baseball? No sale.

Quick, what was the last hit movie about baseball?

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Maybe "The Rookie"?

Draft saved Draft deleted