1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Money Ball the movie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

While I acknowledge the inconsistencies in the Maraniss argument, this part of your answer

begs the question.

And I'm not sure we should rely upon Hollywood's salespitch assertion of "beauty" as our baseline definition.

For example, I don't think "beauty" exists without an aesthetic component. Even if that aesthetic attribute is merely symmetry, as it often is in pure mathematics.

So I don't think "value" or "efficiency" can be used interchangeably with "beauty."

No one walks into St. Peter's, looks at the Pieta and thinks, "Man that's efficient."

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Here's a passage in Whicker's World Series preview last week:

And for those who enjoy creative general managing, notice how the LCS MVPs got here.

Texas' Nelson Cruz was dealt by Oakland's Billy Beane for Milwaukee's Keith Ginter, then found his way to the Rangers, with Carlos Lee, in a package that included Francisco Cordero.

(By the way, was that in "Moneyball"?)

David Freese, the third baseman who bludgeoned Milwaukee, was San Diego's offer in exchange for the last legs of Jim Edmonds.

A Texas-St. Louis matchup immediately calls up visions of Freese, Albert Pujols, Matt Holliday and switch-hitter Lance Berkman crushing Texas' lefthanded starters.

Blink, and those images disappear.

Only Freese is dramatically better against lefties, and Texas' C.J. Wilson and Matt Harrison are better against righties.

Derek Holland is not, which makes you wonder if Ron Washington, whom Beane rejected as Oakland's manager in favor of Bob Geren, will instead start Alexei Ogando, who was left in the Rule V draft by Oakland in 2005.

(By the way, were either of those in "Moneyball"?)

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

He forgot to mention the A's also had Colby Lewis.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

A lot of teams missed on him, including the Rangers the first time around.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Up to $64 million, so it should pass "Field of Dreams" for the No. 3 spot as soon as today.

6. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

So it's going to make more money than the A's spend on payroll? Does Beane get a cut of the profits?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Billy Beane's daughter is a time traveler.

8. samchn07

samchn07 New Member

I saw nearly dozen of horror movie. In which mostly a scary giant person wearing a mask are running to kill. But i like to see the cross-over movie.

9. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I think this passed through Babelfish a few too many times.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Scary people with a mask? Gotta be about catchers or plate umpires.

Draft saved Draft deleted