1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Money Ball the movie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Sep 13, 2011.

1. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Preview actually looks pretty good. How much of the real story will they change to make it more dramatic? I don't think audiences will want to watch 2 hours of Scott Hatteberg wearing down pitchers by drawing walks.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The buzz at TIFF has been pretty positive.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It would be fitting if Bruce Willis played Scott Hatteberg. Willis hasn't done that big a hero turn in a long time

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

If Brad Pitt doesn't live in his mom's basement and carry a slide rule, it's not an accurate depiction.

5. dooley_womack1

And in a return to his villain roots, John Lithgow plays Joe Morgan

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Who's playing Bill Conlin?

7. dooley_womack1

I was going to have Lithgow play Conlin, but I thought Morgan would be better comedy

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I saw it last night and didn't like it all that much. I thought it was a bit on the boring side and the drama was contrived (I heard at least two people leaving the theater say words to the effect of "but they didn't win the World Series.). I enjoyed the book and I think the story would have made for an excellent documentary, but I didn't think it worked as a movie. Maybe it's because I knew too much about the whole thing. I'm definitely curious to hear what other people think about it - both people who are familiar with the story and those that aren't. I thought Brad Pitt did a good job and that Philip Seymour Hoffman (and his large stomach) was a good Art Howe.

9. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Philip Seymour Hoffman has got to be the creepiest actor in Hollywood. Even more so than William Fichtner. Besides, why is Hoffman playing Art Howe? There is a more than 20-year age difference.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Figure Seth Rogen for Jeremy Giambi, but who played Jetes?

11. dooley_womack1

Emmanuel Lewis

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Is Jetes portrayed in the movie?

Draft saved Draft deleted