1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Monday' is a racial slur?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Armchair, you beat me to the Rick Monday reference.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This thread is bizarre. I have never heard of ANY of the terms being mentioned here as having racial/ethnic connotations.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Denny's used to have competition from a chain called Sambo's. And a quick Google search shows the original is still going in Santa Barbara, Calif.

http://www.sambosrestaurant.com/

How the Holy Shit does that play out there in LaLa Land?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Beaner is pretty common -- at least maybe in Westerns or on TV. I have never heard it used in real life that I can recall.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Craziest ex-board member ever?

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Maybe you get this, but they're code words, not really any reference to any particular trait or anything. Rather than say "black people" they say "Mondays". "I hate Mondays."

I've heard both Canadians and Mondays as "code" for African Americans. People that go that route usually seem to decide the introduction of the code is their true intellectual high water mark of the evening. ... They're not always wrong.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

... and just what is U.S. News trying to tell us?

http://mobile.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/07/18/for-the-first-time-canadians-now-richer-than-americans

8. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

So you're saying that Garfield is a horrible racist, then?

Growing up in California, I've heard "beaner" used fairly regularly as a slur on Mexicans. Not so much about most of the others mentioned here, though. I read the original story and thought maybe the guy said something about "monkey" (a common and vile racial slur) and it was somehow interpreted as "Monday"?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mike Royko got in huge trouble for using "beaner" in Chicago in the '90s, so it is pretty well-known up there too, YF.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

This is all over the radio in Boston, and nobody really knows what to make of it. Apparently, here's how this came to light. And it's honestly tough to say whether it was part of his "act" or if it's actually true. You make the call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Ae_LXu7sE

11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I had no idea about Monday or Canadian as racial slurs. Beaner I have heard a lot.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't think I've heard anyone say "beaner" in decades. Heard it a lot when I was a kid, but not now.

Draft saved Draft deleted