1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Monday' is a racial slur?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Duran Duran muse:

[​IMG]

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

So, is Ruby Tuesday actually making a veiled Native American reference?

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

On Monday I've got Friday on my mind.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Where I live, the online racists call them "Swedes" in the comments section.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Thinks this is bullshit.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The code names I've heard in my neck of the woods are "Canadians" and "tall people."

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

We're too busy cleaning the lipstick off the walls.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Canadians is code for "jews". Popular in New York, especially in the legal system.

The idea being, you can say out loud, "boy, there sure are a lot of fucking Canadians in here."

In Florida, and other places that get a lot of Canadian tourists, it can also be used to describe folks who are cheap, and/or don't tip. Since Canadians are not "known" as great tippers, anybody who doesn't tip well can be derided as a Canadian.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh, and never heard of Monday as any kind of racial term.

The other one that caught me off guard a couple of years ago was "Beaner" being used to describe Mexicans.

There was a coffee shop chain out of Michigan named Beaners. As they expanded into the Southwest, they realized they had a problem, and changed their name.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

In Cincinnati, the old-school racists (I'm told) have a gesture. They touch their faces, as if wiping off a smudge. Have only witnessed it once, and had no idea what it was until much later. It came from an older gal who was our paper's receptionist (and who I was supervising). When I got clued in, never saw her as the harmless old gal again. Barely spoke to her again.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

It's also used in other areas as code for black people for the same reasoning, of being able to talk about them while assuming they wouldn't know. I used to hear coaches say it about other basketball teams. They have a lot of "Canadians" on their team.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yeah, "Canadian tipper" is the context in which I originally heard it.

Draft saved Draft deleted