1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moncton ... the nicest city in Canada

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flash

Flash Guest

Moncton ... huh ... who knew? Sleepy little Moncton with its Total Bore and Magnetic Hype. Where's Huntsie? Maybe he knows the secret.

I am going to have to take a little issue with Vancouver being ranked No. 2 alongside Calgary. I would have ranked it as one of the worst, alongside Montreal.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=fbb88cc7-5dee-4b1a-9d01-1d52fcb4550f

After sending teams of researchers into 15 major cities across the country to gauge the politeness of Canadians, Reader's Digest found the answer -- in Moncton, N.B.

The magazine "found a lot of pride in being polite" in the East Coast city, home to almost 120,000 souls.

"Moncton was one of only two cities to earn a perfect score in the thank-you test. (Vancouver was the other.) Many of the people we 'tested' and spoke with made a point of shaking our hand when we parted. Must be the Moncton way!" Reader's Digest said in the survey, which will be published in its November edition.

Courteous cities

- 1. Moncton: 80 per cent

- 2. Tie: Calgary and Vancouver: 77

- 3. Edmonton: 73

- 4. Tie: Victoria, Charlottetown, St. John's: 70

- 5. Montreal: 68

- 6. Tie: Halifax, Winnipeg: 67

- 7. Regina: 63

- 8. Quebec City: 62

- 9. Toronto: 60

- 10. Saskatoon: 57

- 11. Ottawa: 50

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Boy, there must be a lot of crabby fucking wheat farmers in Saskatchewan.

Less polite than the people in The Centre of the Universe?

Hard to imagine.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Bottom of the poll:

Fuckyourself, Saskatchewan 2

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I thought Fuckyourself was in Nunavit. You sure you aren't thinking of Fuckoffassclown, Saskatchewan?

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Nah, those guys are surprisingly hospitable. Gtfo, Newfoundland could use some work, though.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

They get lost on that straight stretch of the TCH ... makes them particularly owly.

7. Where in the hell is Rankin Inlet on this list?

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

They have a KFC and Pizza Hut Express, so maybe that knocks them down a few points.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Ah the bustling metropolis of Rankin Inlet ... hub of the north ... destination of the wealthy.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

No lie ... I drove through a town yesterday where the KFC still had the old Kentucky Fried Chicken sign up ... I wish I had my camera with me.

11. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

If St.John's was on the survey, it would have tough competition. I always thought people from there are the nicest. And that city is welcoming. They treat you like you are a red carpet guest.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Only problem with the list is, there are 14 cities ahead of Ottawa, therefore Ottawa should be 15th and not 11th.

Interesting that every province is represented. I doubt that every state would be listed in the 50 most courteous cities in the U.S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.