1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moment if silence? In China?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, May 19, 2008.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Christians existed there for years. The churches have been in place for years. I didn't happen to enter any during any of my trips over there.

I don't buy the 30% number in the slightest. The are people that don't practice Buddhism as strictly, but that number is strikingly low. Check out a Buddhist temple on Chinese New Year's Day. The place is mobbed. A line forms going down two blocks just to enter the place.

In terms of officials... On Chinese New Year's Eve/Day, there is a bell that is rung to signify the start of the new year. The first person in line every year is the highest public official for the region in which that temple is located. In order to ring the bell, you need to pay several months in advance and then you are given a slot in line. The official always cuts through the "red tape." However, he's always there to ring the bell.

I am aware of what the official position is, but it isn't as pronounced as it once was and it is never enforced. It isn't difficult to learn who is Buddhist and who isn't. The Buddhists all have the beads on their left wrist.

Draft saved Draft deleted