1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moment if silence? In China?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, May 19, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

From wiki:

That's in addition to Indiana and Illinois.

So, I mean, you can say we don't have that "little ritual" in public schools, but that statement would be -- what's the word? -- wrong.

Though, yes, the ACLU does oppose them, seeing them, correctly in my view, as a way of instituting school prayer without actually instituting school prayer.

And though I have no personal problem with moments of silence -- and think the ACLU is wasting its time -- I can see how they can be interpreted as the first step down the slippery slope toward prayer in schools. Much like how some on the other side see civil unions and gay marriage as the first step down the slippery slope toward the carnal chaos that such things would surely bring. Never mind that neither is likely true.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That's the only reason I clicked on this thread -- to find out.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can't believe it.

hondo was wrong.

Happens only, oh, 9 out of every 10 times he hits post.

Fenian's gone but Hondo remains. That's a crappy trade.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So wait, where did Fenian go?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We definitely got the worse end of that deal.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

A "moment in silence" doesn't equal "time to pray." It is a time to reflect and think about the magnitude of what transpired. If some people use that time to pray that is up to them.

Besides, the country is predominantly Buddhist. The idea that they outlaw religion is laughable.

FALSE! Since i know members of the Communist Party and I've watched them go to temple to pray.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Just because the law is on the books, doesn't mean it is enforced. I believe Alabama is forbidden from having a moment of silence by court order. (I know this was the case at one time, but don't know if they passed a new version that subsequently passed muster.)

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Can we trade Hondo for a player to be named or cash considerations?

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Where I teach, we begin the day with a moment of silence.

Whether or not it's for spiritual purposes, it's fun to watch high school kids have to sit still and be quiet for 30 seconds (after about 15, they start squirming. The ones on, ahem, medication start squirming after about 5).

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

About 30% of Chinese are Buddhists ... at least according to my Chinese guide from a few weeks ago. A smaller number are Taoists. Buddhism is, by far, the predominant religion in China.

Christians are becoming more and more prevalent. There is also a large Muslim community in the northwest, near Kazakhstan (they have their own "autonomous region" in the NW ... although, like Tibet, the government is encouraging other Chinese to emigrate there, ostensibly to thin out the minority populations).

And I've read the "official" position that only atheists are allowed to be members of the CCP in more than one place. Now, whether or not that is practiced is something else.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I know this is the new improved, user-friendly, no pit bull attacks "everyone's opinion is equal" board but Hondo is still a fucking idiot.

There. Feel better already.

Draft saved Draft deleted