1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moment if silence? In China?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, May 19, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=in-china-a-moment-of-sile

I was of the understanding that the Chinese government didn't allow acts of spirituality.

Go ahead ... the flame-throwers on the board can give me hell. They ain't gettin' no cherry, as my sainted daddy said.

But is this just a variation of "no atheists in foxholes" theory?

2. They're praying for closed-minded Occidentals.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

34,000 dead and 250,000 injured and all Hondo can do is use it as an excuse to spread his unique brand of arrogant intolerance.

Kudos to you, Hondo. Kudos to you.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The Chinese government has been remarkably humane when it comes to handling this disaster. That's in opposition to just about everything else they do in regards to any sort of situation.

5. You know, freedom of religion is guaranteed in the Chinese constitution ...

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What's a "moment if silence"?

As far as the thread goes, I'm pretty sure "moments OF" silence aren't the exclusive property of Christianity.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Just ask all the people worshipping in non-state-approved churches, or the unnamed Cardinals that "serve" anonymously in the Roman Catholic Church, instead of the government-sponsored clone. Only atheists are allowed to serve in the Communist party, and therefore be a part of the government.

That said, I was in China when the quake happened (although rather far away) -- and one member of our group left Sichuan Province just a couple of days before the quake. Scary, scary stuff. My prayers are with the victims, their families and the people of Sichuan Province & Chongqing trying to rebuild their lives.

This is what could happen if the New Madrid lets loose in the U.S., although the building standards/codes are a little bit better here and we're not packed in like sardines.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

What the hell is wrong with you? A horrible catastrophy and this is all you have to offer? Why would you even bring religion into this since it isn't mentioned in the story.

I understand that people have political axes to grind but this is ridiculous.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

What the hell is wrong with me? What the hell is wrong with starting a dialogue on a touchy subject? Solutions are arrived at with such means.

I have no political ax to grind, other than to point out that some people in China felt a moment of silence would help them cope with a terrible tragedy, despite generations and generations of living under a system of government that prohibited, by law, displays of spirituality or any reference to a God. And for those who say religion has nothing to do with a moment of silence, I might add that if that were the case, how come we can't even get that little ritual in our public schools, let alone prayer.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It's a God-danged moment of silence.

Doesn't mean anyone is praying to any God, deity or what the fuck ever.

You can choose to pray to whatever of your choosing during a moment of silence, but it isn't a mandatory thing.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If that's the case, then the ACLU won't mind a moment of silence in public schools.

Oh, darn. ... we're not allowed to do that.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I was gonna say the same thing, buck. And I graduated a few years (2003) after you.

Draft saved Draft deleted