1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mom arrested for hiring strippers for son's birthday party

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At that time many states had a drinking age of 18 or 19 so conceivably you had classmates that were "legal"

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It took Reagan threatening to without federal funding to get West Virginia to raise theirs from 18 to 21. A lot of teenagers from Pa. used to cross the border to get legally fucked up back then. Now that I think of it, I don't remember very many people twatting off about Reagan being "socilist!!!!!" for doing this.

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

That is legal in some states if, in the privacy of a home or other private gathering, the parents hand the minor the alcohol. Doing so in a public place, such as bar or in a park, is still illegal.

4. Family Ties had an episode about this as well.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If you want to do this shit with your own kid, fine. Gonna take a wild guess and say many parents of 16 year-olds at that party didn't know Mom of the Year was providing booze and lap dances.

6. Good for you. I doubt your parents hooked up the neighborhood brats, though.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In Louisiana, the "legal" drinking age was still 18 until about 1995. There was a state law that made it illegal for people 18-20 to buy alcohol, yet it wasn't a crime to sell it to them. My freshman year at LSU, before they changed the law, we had regularly-scheduled dorm-sponsored keggers. It was great.
    Unfortunately, a bunch of underaged yahoos from Texas were smearing themselves all over the highways of western Louisiana, MADD got its drawers in a bunch, and that was that.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't mean to sound like a prude about underage drinking. It know it happens all the time and I was guilty of it when I was young. I just think a mother putting her kid's friends in a situation where they might drink and drive or do something else stupid under the influence is more serious than 16-year-olds seeing some skanky tits.

9. I agree this is not mother-of-the-year material, but christ, getting arrested for child endangerment? For teenagers?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

As we've learned from Poindexter you put your kids at risk of seeing skanky tits when you send them off to school.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Were the kids who gave money as a gift told to stuff the birthday cards with dollar bills?

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yes, Poin the educator.

Draft saved Draft deleted