1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moldy car help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by fromthebluegrass, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Hi. I'm an avid reader, infrequent poster. What can I say? I'm too intimidated to post regularly. I think it's some sort of post-high school inferiority complex or something. ;-) Anyway, I was hoping for some car advice.

I have a leak somewhere in my car that is allowing water to get into my trunk. I am going to the shop next week for an oil change, so I am hoping they will also be able to find the source of the leak. I didn't realize how bad the leak was, and it is causing some mold to grow in my trunk. Once I have the leak fixed (if the mechanics find it), what are some ways that I can get rid of the mold? It hasn't spread too badly yet, so I am hoping I won't have to get it reupholstered.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bad seal allowing water to leak into the trunk ... are we to assume the striker to the trunk/hatch functions properly to keep the area otherwise sealed?

Probably your best alternative is to get the upholstery professionally cleaned. Good luck.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Bleach?

4. Striker? Well, the trunk always seems to be completely shut. One person told me to spray Armarol around the outside of the trunk, but I'm not sure if that would work or not.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Am I the only one who thought this said Moddy Car Help at first?

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Nope.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Have to get the mold out of the carpet. Bleach, of course, will ruin it.

When I was living in Wyoming, I had a mold problem in a footwell due to melted snow. Used carpet cleaner to scrub, then vacuumed with a Wet-Dry vac, then saturated the entire footwell with Lysol spray. Problem solved.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I lived in Portland, Oregon for a year. It rained so damn much I had mold growing in the carpeting inside my car.

I moved to Phoenix and it went away.

Don't know if that helps.

9. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

in the long fought future some pretty brown-eyed archaeologist will uncover this thread and will not footnote it into anything.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, your advice is to move a couple of states away?

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

White or any distilled vinegar will kill mold.
    Your trunk will smell like a salad for a few days, so let it air out.
    After that, Lysol bomb it or, better yet, Oust makes a great air and surface sanitizer.

12. Thanks for the advice. I also had two sleeping bags back there. Are the salvagable? I tried washing them, and they still smell moldy.

Draft saved Draft deleted