1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

``mojo''

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, May 14, 2008.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

That's what PE post calls new opening for ``mobile journalist'' who'll write, shoot video and still shots and sell fish tacos... Sounds like an intriguing experiment. Hats off to PE for imaginative thinking, I say.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=923633

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That job's my bag, bay-bee!

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Not that imaginative. Gannett's been doing it for several years. Pretty sure the basic model is pay the reporter less than a normal reporter, and require him to put thousands of miles on his own car, with shitty reimbursement.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/03/AR2006120301037.html

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Damn, I thought this thread was about the Permian Panthers.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'm all for jacks- and jills-of-all-trades in any field (I consider versatility to be among my strongest traits in the workplace), but this is just asking for mediocrity.

One expert in reporting/writing and one expert in photo/video > three "mojos" who aren't great at anything.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Mobile Journalists? That's what they were called at my old paper. The old bureau folks, the one's who didn't live in the area.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Did they live in Alabama?

8. You can pick up your chicken dinner at the front desk.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This critter has existed for years. It's called a "small weekly sports editor."

10. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Yep. At my former paper, a backpack with a laptop and videocamera was called a "mojo pack." Shit you not.

11. Mojo Pack has great potential as a sexual euphemism.
    Just sayin'

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Also sounds like the fan club for Mojo Nixon.

Draft saved Draft deleted