1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mohammed Most Popular Baby Name in England; Bill Maher "Concerned"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 30, 2010.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

None of them would qualify to have the word "civilized" put in front of it, however.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Dipshit hicks? To my experience, upper-middle class and wealthy people fiddle around with those kind of spellings. At a lily-white middle school in a ritzy area near me (my sister is the school secretary), she's seen the name Ethan spelled Ethyn (for a girl), Ethean and Ethann

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, you mean like ancient Greek non?civilization, O_T?

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The point is that American society sucks, and as such should look to any other society that exists or has existed as a means of fixing its fucked-up self.

5. dooley_womack1

Kum-ba-yah! :D

6. dooley_womack1

I don't know of any religion other than the Catholic Church that makes a big huff about suicide, and it's not as if its laws are that much of a guide for people anymore. So I don't see a great national consensus on what suicide means or what causes it. That has nothing to do with the suicide bombers, particularly, but just sayin'

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I was always told cowards take the "easy way out." Well, I dont really see anythig "easy" about taking a gun, loading it and pulling an R Budd Dwyer. I certainly dont see anything "easy" about finding the tallesgt building, or a bridge, and jumping off that motherfucker. And I sure as shit believe that watching a building get closer and closer as I flew into it in a plane would cause me a great deal of stress, sitting there thinking "If i fuck this up its gonna hurt like hell."

Cowardly? Not to me. All of those sound downright fucking scary. Now, mentally deranged? Hell yes.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Judaism also very anti-suicide. In theory, not supposed to be buried near anyone else.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Neither dools nor anybody else here suggested anything even remotely similar to that. Nice dishonesty, there.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Sorry, we don't get to re-write the definition of words to fit our desired insults. The basic root of cowardice is personal fear. In SOME circumstances, that can be the motivation behind suicide. But that obviously ain't what motivated the 9/11 attackers. If they wanted to save their own hyde and avoid personal risk, that certainly wasn't the logical route.

Nobody's saying there was anything redeeming about it. What those monsters did was unspeakably horrible, evil and about a thousand other entirely appropriate insults. But, in lobbing insults at them, we ought to choose words that actually fit, there are certainly plenty to choose from. And that's all Maher was trying to say as well--there's an endless number of insults that fit those inhuman bastards, so why did our media instead keep reaching for the one that really did not?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I read some of those people from a standpoint of being interested. I don't think any of them is gospel. I don't "follow" any of them. I don't quote any of them as the way things really are or should be.
    There are shitloads of shitheads expressing opinions. I agree with some, disagree with some, couldn't care less about others. None of them shape or affect the way I think.

Is this so difficult for so much of our populace to understand?

12. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

Nice juxtaposition of threads here as I start to write, Maher on top of Beck. Wankity wank wank.

I'd like to go to the Tuesday night coverage with five or six of you guys with differing views and just sit back and observe crossfire. Let's see, Hondo next to Stoney... That would be my idea of interesting. ThreeBF is invited--for him, I'm buying.

Draft saved Draft deleted