1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mohammed Most Popular Baby Name in England; Bill Maher "Concerned"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 30, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Bill Maher is concerned about a fact.

Juan Williams and other bigots are concerned about a hat.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So you're a fan of bigots, as long as they're consistent.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Generally, I like Bill Maher, but I didn't like that.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This sounds like a Meatloaf song.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Could you further explain your thought?

Because from what I see, Juan was describing a feeling he would have in a very specific situation. I think it was clear that he thought his own feelings were somewhat irrational and not the kind of thing that should be acted on (with additional screenings and such).

Bill just appears to be worried about the growth of Islam in the West. He didn't narrow his concerns to any specific situation.

He also didn't seem to have any concerns about his concerns. He thinks his concerns are completely rational.

So, while the standards of a comedy show on HBO and NPR are certainly different, you should judge Bill by his words.

If they fit your definition of a bigot, it shouldn't matter that he "only" said them on HBO or that he is uncomfortable with all religion.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

How come no one gives their sons names like Gord & Doug anymore?

The NHL is being overrun with players named Jordan, Tyler and Taylor.

Its downright un-Canadian. :)

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

You know what name I want to see brought back: Tecumseh. If it's good enough for Mr. Sherman, it's good enough for any kid of mine, damnit! :)

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Can someone tell me why I should care -- or why anyone should care, for that matter -- what any of these guys say. Maher, Williams, Stewart, Colbert, Beck, Hannity, et al.
    What real difference does it make what these clowns think?
    Has the general populace of this country become so dumb that no one can think for themselves or form an opinion unless they're told what to think by some TV and/or radio 'personality'?

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yes

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm afraid that's true matador and that's why we've got as many problems as we have.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It wasn't meant as sarcasm either. This country turns more and more into a population of sheep that's easily led and doesn't investigate anything on its own or think worth a fuck. I'm amazed by how many people I've met who are voting Tuesday based on, "Well, I'm voting for Slap Slapinski because that one ad on TV said that Donnie Doucheface wants to raise my taxes, cut education funding and rape my dog...."

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And that differs from the entire history of the republic in what way?

Draft saved Draft deleted