1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Modern sports barriers: How low can you go?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Nov 1, 2022.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It happened just a few years ago, with the Wizards, of all teams. They lost to the Rockets 159-158 in 2019.

There was also another team that topped 160 that same season, IIRC. The Bulls, I think?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I honestly don't see how the pole vault record can go much higher. I don't know if that Sports Science show is still a thing, but with all the lab work they do with athletes, it would be interesting to consider just the physics required for some records to fall, athlete height and weight, force, velocity etc.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He'll test the outer limits of what a print headline writer can fit. Unless Antetokounmpo already did that.

Batman and Liut like this.
  4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

That Robinson game was the most shameless stat-filling attempt I've ever seen (other than Anthony Bowie's bullshit triple-double). All to give The Admiral the scoring title over Shaq.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That might be somewhat dependent on the technology. Just how much can they make the poles bend and forcefully snap back while keeping them in one piece? I think they have some room to push the envelope with that.

Batman and maumann like this.
  7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Tend to agree on both. Though I'm interested to see what the shift ban will do. I'm not really in favor of the shift ban... maybe the part of two infielders on each side of second base, but feet on the dirt seems extreme. They had the shift when Teddy Ballgame hit .406, so maybe that door is open a crack. Though, it will take a complete overhaul in approach at the plate from what it is now.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

70s-80s, especially NL parks, were conducive to slap hitters and speed.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It will keep going up a centimeter at a time for as long as sponsors and meet directors keep offering cash incentives for world records.

Liut likes this.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Long fences and artificial turf.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Seems like there also has to be a limit to the length and weight of a pole you can carry while running at a dead sprint. At some point its center of gravity has to be in a spot where the vaulter can't control it, right?

jr/shotglass likes this.
  12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Yes. grounders in the gap skipped like tennis balls on hard courts, 85 Cardinals had one guy with more than 13 HR and five with at least 30 SB,
    including 110 from Vince Coleman.

Draft saved Draft deleted