1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Modern sports barriers: How low can you go?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Nov 1, 2022.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think we're nearing the physical limit for the 100m sprint time.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone gets to 100 again in the NBA. Essentially the defense would have to allow it and it's going to take an incredibly special circumstance for that to happen. (Something like Kobe's last game, which was otherwise meaningless and just turned into an exercise in seeing how many points they could get him on the way out.)

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It helps if the game is reasonably competitive, too. I've seen a few guys get 40 or even 50 by the third quarter and then they sit the fourth because it's a blowout by that point.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

People might have thought that when Carl Lewis starting breaking the 10-second barrier regularly, then Ben Johnson had to use banned substances to lower it. Then Usain Bolt showed up. Does someone even taller or stronger than Bolt show up with similar physical gifts?

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If you're gonna score 100, you need to play more than three quarters (which is about what NBA minutes leaders average these days).

Curry has averaged 34.3 MPG over his career. Wilt averaged 45.8.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Lol, yeah. Ben Johnson was dirty and Lewis was clean. The whole 88 100 metre was filthy.

Sea Bass likes this.
  7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

It’s doubtful that anyone will be able to eat 20,000 hotdogs in 10 minutes.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There have been 11 70-point games in NBA history, and only three of them have come in the last 30 years: Kobe Bryant's 81 in 2006, David Robinson's 71 in 1994 and Devin Booker's 70 in 2017. Bryant played 41 minutes and hit 7 of 13 3s in his. Robinson played 44 and went 26-for-41 from the floor. Booker played 45, hit 4 of 11 3s and went 24 for 26 from the free-throw line. I don't think 100 will ever happen again, and I'm dubious with the way players are managed in-game now that anyone will ever even sniff 80 again.

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“Watch me.” - the bear

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

When it comes to barriers, I always think of the fastball.

Right now, Chapman's 105.1-mph stands as the fastest recorded. I don't know if we'll ever see 110. And if we do, you might have to start thinking about safety concerns.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The final score of Wilt's 100 point game was 162-147. That just doesn't happen in the NBA anymore.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Wembanyama might test the outer limits of what a basketball player can be. Humans don’t get much taller and I doubt there are any other humans that height with that much fluidity and dexterity.

Draft saved Draft deleted