1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Modern sports barriers: How low can you go?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Nov 1, 2022.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Don't forget that Ryan himself pitched for 27 major league seasons. He literally bridged the gap between Sandy Koufax and Chipper Jones.

Batman likes this.
  2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

When I was a kid I had a picture/coffee table book called The History of Baseball (There was a History of Football too)
    I remember one passage
    “Some records, like Cobb’s 897 career stolen bases, might never be broken.”
    It was

3. Twirling Time

Like 3 times lol. (I actually expected more.)

Yes, Rickey's SB mark is quite safe. Active leader is Dee Strange-Golden of the Dodgers at 336, followed very closely at 335 by a long-in-the-tooth Elvis Andrus.

Bob Cousy was the NBA career assists leader in the 1970s and freaking Luka Doncic has already blown his doors.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Point of order: The sub-2-hour marathon doesn’t count as an official record because it was not a competitive race — it was a promotional event specifically and painstakingly crafted for Kipchoge to break that barrier.

The official record is still 2:01 and change. Kipchoge still holds (I think) the five fastest times in history, so he’s clearly the GOAT, but he has NOT officially broken 2 hours.

Hermes and Inky_Wretch like this.
  5. Twirling Time

3s can mean a great deal to a team but are overrated individually. They can turn a 30-point game into a 40-point game if a jump shooter hits 10 of them. Wilt was never a 3-point shooter, even if he'd had the rule. You fed the horse and rode him.

6. MisterCreosote

How about a 200-point season in hockey? Or, better yet, four of them?

7. Twirling Time

Good to know that there's still an official barrier to break.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

IIRC, Wilt's 100-point game has often been credited to him being on fire at the free throw line. He shot 61. 3 percent from the line that season (the best percentage of his career) and went 28-for-32 in that game. Easily the difference between 80-something points and the iconic 100.
    Kobe, for comparison's sake, was 18-for-20 at the line in his 81-point game. Kobe also hit seven 3-pointers, which I suppose are comparable to free throws in terms of finding extra opportunities for "free" points.

On a side note, that's a record I hope never does get broken. An even 100 is such a perfect number for a record like that, that 102 or 103 just wouldn't feel right.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

It’s doubtful that anyone will be able to eat 100 hotdogs in 10 minutes.

Hermes, Batman and maumann like this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Surprised no one has mentioned 20,000 yet.

11. MisterCreosote

Wilt also took 63 shots from the field in that game. So many opportunities that he could’ve easily gone for 120 if he got hotter.

By comparison, David Thompson scored 73 on only 38 shots in 1978.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Still, in a 3 or layup league, no one has really come close other than Kobe who hit 7 3s the night he went for 81. If anyone is going to do it, they’ll have to shoot the 3 because you can’t sit under the rim and get buckets that way. Probably you’ll need someone going off in one quarter ala Klay Thompson going for 37 in one quarter (9-9 for 3) and a strong have the rest of the way. But individual stats like that are just so hard now.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted