1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Modern Marvels on History Channel: The greatest TV series ever!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jun 27, 2007.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm rocking the nuts episode right now; just finished watching the hard liquor episode. Have the "70s engineering disasters" episode on Tivo to check out next.

Do these people ever run out of subjects?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's a great series. I've watched a lot of them and they are very well done.

3. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

They get a little broad with their definition of modern, but I love the show anyways.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yet, some of them are reaches... Plumbing of the ancient Romans or some equally current marvel are too much

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So name the damn thing "Contemporary Modern Marvels"... I give a shit about the evolution of fasteners...

OK< I will admit some of them are cool... others, not so much....

6. John

John Well-Known Member

They done anything on grocery stores yet?

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I haven't seen grocery stores, but I saw one on candy/junk food/ice cream that was pretty cool.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And the one on how Clarence Birdseye invented the electric lightbulb for the freezer was riveting too.

9. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

From Webster's:

Main Entry: 1mod·ern
    Pronunciation: 'mä-d&rn, ÷'mä-d(&-)r&n
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Late Latin modernus, from Latin modo just now, from modus measure -- more at METE

1 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of the present or the immediate past : CONTEMPORARY b : of, relating to, or characteristic of a period extending from a relevant remote past to the present time
    2 : involving recent techniques, methods, or ideas : UP-TO-DATE
    3 capitalized : of, relating to, or having the characteristics of the present or most recent period of development of a language
    4 : of or relating to modernism : MODERNIST

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Torture Devices.
    Cheese
    Atlantic Wall
    Barbarian Battle Tech
    Bible Tech
    Cape Cod Canal
    Castles & Dungeons
    Da Vinci Tech
    Egyptian Pyramids

Yes, after seeing these episodes, I must alter my definition of "modern"... ;D

11. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I think it's best when they use the history to show how today's innovations have come to be.

Wait ... they did one on cheese. How did I miss this?

12. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

The best show for this is Connections and its sequel Connections II (it's from Britain). It still crops up on the Science Channel from time to time.

Draft saved Draft deleted