1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Modern Family (ABC)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Dec 10, 2009.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I know its been mentioned in other TV threads but I've found this one of the most consistent funny shows I've seen since Seinfield. I enjoyed The Office for a few years but this seems a bit broader. Its the one show I look forward to watching with wifey on the DVR. Your thoughts?

2. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

It's really well written and well acted throughout the cast. Even the kids aren't obnoxious. A new favorite.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's fantastic. I like Community a little better, but either way I hope they are both on for a very, very long time.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Best family comedy in ages. Granted, there hasn't been a good one in a long time, but this is just a tremendous show.

The cast is perfect. I think some who don't have kids don't think it's as funny as those of us who do, but this is truly a great, great show.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Easily in my top 5 (with Curb, Better Off Ted, 30 Rock and the Office), and possibly my favorite sitcom right now.

Ed O'Neill, Cameron and Manny are all fanstastic.

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Gloria: I'm gonna take a shower. Do you care to join me?
    Jay: You know, honey, there's a gun in the foot locker in the garage. If I ever say no to that question I want you to use it on me.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Great show. Ed O'Neill is perfect in his reactions to everybody from little Manny to to his wife to all his dysfunctional kids.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Best sitcom in ages... XMas episode was uproarious, but with a LOT of heart.

Incredibly, nothing close to a throwaway character on the show.

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Just caught up on the last few episodes on hulu ... so awesome.

The most recent episode, when Phil says about Working Girl: "That movie is so clutch"

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think this is one of the strongest aspects of the show. Every character is actually pretty well defined, even the kids. Wife and I only caught onto it late, but it makes me laugh out loud more than any show on TV right now. (Full disclosure: Don't watch the Big Bang Theory, but am hoping to catch up soon.)

It's a different comedy than The Office, even though they use the same faux-doc style. I always think people who get upset about The Office for not being funny enough want it to be a different show than it really is. It's not a "You don't get it, and that means I'm smart and you're not" thing. It's just like expecting The Sopranos to be a gangster show, when really it was an art house show about the depravity of the human condition that happened to feature mobsters. The Office is what it is because it works as much as sad cultural commentary as it does as comedy.

All that nonsense aside, Modern Family is as straight-up funny as anything on TV in awhile.

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

The ass bumping in the locker room was friggin hilarious.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Modern Family gets bumped in my market to allow for SEC basketball.
    So the local affiliate will still show it, but like at 4 in the morning, three days later.
    I set it as a season recording so my poor DVR will seek it out like an obedient dog, but still, it is pretty ridiculous. The station has something like four digital channels, one is a constant weather radar.
    And my contention is why put the network programming on one of those channels, so people can still watch what they want, at a normal time.
    Plus, last year, when Lost was on Wednesday, it was insane.

Draft saved Draft deleted