1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Modern day classics

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I disagree.
    I'm not convinced that 3D as it exists now has any long-term relevance.
    I don't think technical advances have a long lasting on viewers. I understand something being influentional, but I don't think it'll ever be considered a classic because it's a bad movie.

And I don't agree that any Fincher movie is objectively better than Hitchcock.
    Audiences respond to differently things over time, because if something enjoys the kind of universal acclaim of a 'Rear Window' the audience becomes familiar with it.
    'Rear Window' was remade this decade with Shia Lebeouf, so it's still relevant.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Well, I'm sorry that you have such a single-minded view of the world.

No movie is "objectively better" than another movie. None. "Better," at least in the context of works of art, is entirely a matter of opinion. Opinions aren't objective. Opinions might be fair or well-reasoned or intelligent or deeply considerate. But they're not objective.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Thin Lizzy's catalog.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Its following was far too small. It's in the Freaks and Geeks category: very classic to verrrrry few.

5. dooley_womack1

What's your damage?

And the lack of mention of Schindler's List so far is sad. Or Pulp Fiction. I guess I'm stretching the parameters into the 1990s thereby, but I think a 20-year window is perfectly fine.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Nobody saw "It's a Wonderful Life" in the theatre. In fact, it was considered a flop. "Star Trek" wasn't a big hit in its initial run. Too soon to tell.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think DW's original post went with a 20-year window.

If so ... my movies division would include:

Pulp Fiction Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Trainspotting Gran Torino
    American Beauty Titanic

It's not so much that these were all great films (especially Titanic), but they all were influential.

I realize I'm leaving a ton of other movies out, but these stand out off the top of my head.

(EDIT: He did say since 2000 ... well, some of those movies still qualify)

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I thought he said post-2000, but if it was really 20 years I'd say Toy Story and the entire Harry Potter series.

Also, American Pie was way better than Superbad, and it introduced the world to the concept of MILF.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

One might say that "The Graduate" did that in 1967.

But, someone will probably find an even earlier example.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Oedipus.

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I'll grant that a decent number of people might come up with The Jazz Singer as the first talkie. The smaller number who have seen it would tell you it's a meh movie with a couple of good scenes.

So tell me what you think of the first two-strip Technicolor? Three-strip? Cinerama/Cinamascope/Todd-AO? (I'll take any one of the three.). No Googlng.

Technological advances have nothing to do with classic status.

12. dooley_womack1

Yeah, first use of fluffer; first use of strap-o....

Oops, different kind of classic. Never mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted