1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Modern day classics

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Departed was an excellent cops and robbers movie. Any lack of love it gets from critics and fans is probably due to the fact it was obviously not close to the best movie of Scorsese's career, yet it was the one that got him a Best Picture Oscar.

2. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

The Wire.

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I would add Band of Brothers, The Social Network and Chappelle Show
    also West Wing debuted in '99 so would that be too old for consideration here? It really fell off in the middle of its run but the first two seasons were fantastic

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Same here.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Battlestar Gallactica will be remembered much, much more than The Wire. In order for something to be remembered and eventually seen as a classic, it needs a cult following and a widespread cultural acceptance.

6. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I wonder about the TV show "Friday Night Light." I want to see if the way it was shot and directed (much more free-form than other shows, which led to a much more realistic tone and cinematography) influences other dramas in the next 5-10 years. The show was beloved among critics and a group of fans, but it never drew huge ratings.

What made it a classic was the respectful, realistic way it treated middle American, middle-class life. Not too many shows can claim that.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

the chappelle show? i hope this was a giggle suggestion.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Heathers? :D

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think 'Avatar' is a movie that will have people shaking their heads in 10 years, wondering why it was so well received.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

"Seven" is the best police drama/thriller of my lifetime. And it's on AMC right now.

11. joe

joe Active Member

I'd nominate "The Usual Suspects," but it was released in 1995. I think it will hold up, however.

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Mad Men will be a classic because it ties different generations together. Whoever said Arcade Fire was dead on as well.

And call me subjective, but I think Seinfeld will be around forever. Aside from the technological aspects, the show is a showcase for human behavior and relationships. I can not imagine not watching that show, but then again I do have a slight obsession with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted