1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Modern day classics

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Can something be a classic if nobody watched it?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes, but I think that it has to be very influential to other artists in the field.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

There are quite a few artistic achievements that are considered classics that were not commercial successes in their time.

4. joe

joe Active Member

Instead of just "Consider the Lobster," I would say that everything DFW wrote from "Infinite Jest" till his death will stand the test of time. Whether micro stories in Esquire or a collection like "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men," whether fiction or non-fiction, David Foster Wallace was a titan.

5. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Eh, I don't even think it deserved the Best Picture nod that year. Still an above-average sword-and-sandals flick, but even just in that class I'm not sure it cracks the Top 3. It also didnt' do anything particularly new. "Avatar" was just "Dances with Smurfs" from a story perspective, but the way it was done technically makes it the benchmark for 3D movies now.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's a good point. If something was ignored when it came out and built a huge following later, I think it would qualify. I still think shows like Deadwood and Arrested Development don't fall into that category.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

In movies, I think you can make a massively popular work that is a modern classic.

I think it's tougher to create a popular book or album that is also a classic. Clear Channel and the decline in literature's importance in the life of the average American seem to separate art from commerce. The best books of the last 20 years are likely not sitting on shelves at half of America's public libraries (rural especially) because they wouldn't get read. And yet the movie collections at those libraries is voluminous.

People are still captivated enough by great movies to make them commercially successful.

My take, at least.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Inflatable penis" jokes don't travel very well across the Atlantic--kinda like Benny Hill.

9. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Arcade Fire's catalog
    LCD Soundsystem's catalog
    There Will Be Blood

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Have you read much James Joyce?

11. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Any votes for The Shield and Battlestar Galactica?

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I would say 90% of my friends ages 25 to 35 are madly in love with Arrested Development. Many would list it as their favorite sitcom or show in general. And it has a vocal-enough fan base to carry on its legacy.

Also, maybe I hang out in different circles than you all, but I never hear a bad word about The Departed. It won Best Picture. I think it definitely has more staying power than any of the movies Dick listed, which had more derisive critics. The exception might be No Country for Old Men.

Draft saved Draft deleted