1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moddy Goes To The Movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I know, who gives a shit, right? But my first venture to a movie theater in years reminded me AGAIN how out of touch I am with today.

I surprised The Queen today by offering to take her to see Hairspray. "It's not on DVD yet," she said. Duh. In the theater. She recovered from fainting pretty fast. We could not remember the last time the two of us went to a movie in the theater. She goes with the kids a lot when they are home.

*I ordered my tickets online. Went to some national Web site, found the 16-screen monstrosity five minutes from the house, punched in my check card and I was done. Did not know you could do that.

*We were running late because of a bad wreck (I hope nobody died). I'm freaking because I hate being late. The Queen tells me to chill. The movie always starts 30 minutes late because of previews. We get there 15 minutes late and still sit through three previews. Jeebus. We had time to go to Outback.

*Didn't have to wait in line, which was nice. Walked to a special window, flashed the check card and got our tickets.

*It cost me TWENTY dollars for two tickets. Damn. When did that happen?

*The seat was more comfortable than my recliner (and it reclined). It even had a drink thing on the arm but I didn't get a drink (I was broke).

*Did I mention too many previews?

Enjoyable movie, though we enjoyed the play more. HC, however, was outstanding.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I loved every single part of that post.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It musta been like courtin' and sparkin' all over agin.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The wife and I were this close to going to see Hairspray tonight and decided $12 each to see a movie is ridiculous.

She was a little disappointed because she's wanted to see the movie "since she was a kid."

So, tomorrow we'll shop all day and then we're heading to a triple-A baseball game.

5. Moderator1

Ehhh. Not quite. She's sawing logs on the couch now and I'm watching the Nats get their asses kicked. It's like we never left the house.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not even a quick stop at Lookout Point?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ain't true love grand?

Ms. Slappy would never watch Hairspray (tho she did laugh at John Waters' guest appearance on the Simpsons tonight). And she much prefers matinees to night movies.

Yeah Mods... no submarine races?

8. Moderator1

ME: Did you enjoy it?
    HER: Sure did, though I liked the play better. Want to go get something to eat?
    ME: With no traffic, we catch the first pitch. They're in Phoenix tonight.
    HER: Jesus Christ.
    ME: (to myself) I get off my ass, pay TWENTY DOLLARS for a movie ***

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No making out in the parking lot??

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So then, the answer was Ryan Zimmerman and Ryan Sonner instead of Ryan's Steakhouse?

Jumpin Jeebus... were you afraid that the dog was going to panic because you took a shit without it watching?

11. Moderator1

Hey, they only play 162 games a year. Miss one and you never get it back.

12. Fan-freakin-tastic ... only because so many of the conversations after taking the little lady to dinner and a movie end up like this. Usually though, for me taking her to a nice evening she usually lets me watch the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted