1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moceanu says Karolyis abused her

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I agree with this, but I'm cynical regarding this particular situation. The girl has a history of being a little off her rocker. And yes, it takes courage to speak out, but two weeks before the Olympics? Smacks of attention whoring.

Problem is, if my cynicism is correct, it makes it that much harder for real victims, or victims who may not have the attention of the LA Times, to speak out.

2. EE94

EE94 Guest

From the story:
    Moceanu said she spoke out now only because she was approached by HBO and said she hasn't spoken to the Karolyis since 2006.

not exactly attention whoring

It's two weeks before the Games, when most of the media starts to pay attention
    They come up with an angle and phone Moceanu, who just happens to give them some great quotes

It's not like she initiated a press conference

she just gave what she perceives to be an honest answer to questions

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Saw the Real Sports piece. As the Times story says, Moceanu didn't say anything about physical abuse, just hinted at psychological stuff directed at her and other gymnasts.

I'm normally cynical about this sort of thing, too, but Moceanu was an Olympic gold-medalist and a member of the most-famous gymnastics team in history. Doesn't seem to me she would have much reason for sour grapes.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hard to argue with their results, but it's always been interesting to me how the Karolyis pretty much have the monopoly on elite gymnast development in the U.S. and have had carte blanche to do it however they like.

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

She thinks coach is bad? She doesn't talk to many of her gymnastics parents, does she? They make him seem like a teddy bear.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Right. I'm think we can all agree that a little bit of slamming 19-year-olds face into a telephone is acceptable, yes? As long as he gets results, of course.

I mean, that's the way John Wooden would have handled it, right?

Plus, I refuse to believe that Bela Karolyi would ever force an injured teenage gymnast to unecessarily put her body in harm's way to enhance the legend of Bela Karolyi.

[​IMG]

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I just wonder what the Karolyis' methods were like when they were still in Romania. Were the losers taken out and shot?

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

And this is news how?

He's a known quantity for shit like that.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My big problem with cell phones these days is that they are so small that slamming a gymnasts head into one doesn't have near the same effect as a phone to the face did 10 years ago.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Anybody else have a problem with a coach telling an 85-pound kid with single-digit bodyfat that they're fat?
    I guess it's just the way it is in that sport, kind of like how somebody who is 260 pounds is too small to play left tackle in the NFL, but it still doesn't seem right.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And, as Jerry Seinfeld said about cordless phones, you can't angrily hang up a cell phone by slamming it down, either.

And then there are horse-racing jockeys, which is a whole other can of worms ...

12. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Let's see. a) bruised face or b1) bulimia or b2) anorexia.

Edge to B.

Draft saved Draft deleted