1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moceanu says Karolyis abused her

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-karolyi23-2008jul23,0,5049883.story?page=1

Not sure if this is a db or not. Did anyone see the Real Sports piece?

2. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

From Moceanu: "I was completely embarrassed by Bela in front of the 2000 national training team at camp. He completely belittled me and my weight, singled me out and made me feel very small."

In gymnastics anyway, wouldn't you want a coach that makes you feel small? (rimshot)

3. Smallpotatoes

Yep, could have made a better choice of words.

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

Is she the one who divorced her parents?

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

She is, although they've since mended fences.

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

How sweet.

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Moceanu has had eight years to speak out about this. Why now?

There was a gymnast a few weeks ago complaining about Karolyi's selection process in 1992.

She's had 16 years to speak out about this. Why now?

Am I the only one wondering this?

8. dargan

dargan Active Member

Good point, D_C. Maybe she's trying to get publicity so she can charge a bunch of money for pictures of her 6-month-old.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Simple answer is: It takes a lot of courage for abuse victims to come forward. They have to be able to do it on their own terms.

Criticizing their timing or intentions -- unless it's a blatant cry for attention or publicity -- doesn't do much to ease the stigma.

10. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I wasn't aware I was criticizing. Wasn't my intention. I'm just curious. Maybe it's as simple as Moceanu getting the courage after the other woman stepped forward. I have no idea.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I wasn't aware I said you were criticizing.

Just pointing out that there's a strong stigma toward abuse victims. That's why they don't come out right away, if at all. Most abuse crimes still go unreported.

12. Smallpotatoes

I have mixed feelings about this.
    On one hand, these athletes are being trained to compete at the world-class level. They have to be able to handle the pressure, be able to compete with pain, etc. It takes tough, demanding coaching to produce the kind of athletes who are capable of competing at that level and as Dominique Dawes said, they chose to do this and they could walk away at any time. As far as the eating issues go, the sport requires a certain build and level of conditioning and at the highest level, success often has little to do with health.
    Also, why does it bother us when female athletes are coached just as aggressively as males?
    On the other hand, most world-class athletes are in their late teens or 20s, physically, mentally and emotionally more mature and able to handle the demands required of them. There's something wrong with asking the same things of a 14 or 15-year-old as you would of a 24 or 25-year-old.
    I see both sides of this. I guess that's what I'm saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted