1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mobile Press-Register Alabama beat reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Randy Kennedy, Feb 15, 2012.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Obviously a joke. I believe Vic Carucci was the last Bills beat writer hired from outside the Buffalo News sports department.

In 1982.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If I pull a "Soul Man" and get a sex-change operation, am I a shoe-in?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Since the last two writers in this spot have gone on to cover the Pats and now Dolphins, yes. Yes it is.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Was aware of that, but thanks for the reminder.

Add: The joke was the idea that the Bills job would be open anytime soon. Don't think PFWA prez Mark Gaughan is going anywhere for a while.

Edit (Mar. 30): He isn't, but I'm beginning to wonder about his backup...

2nd edit (May 6): So as it turned out, there was an opening after said backup managed to blow up his career and get shuffled off to desk duty ... But they still didn't hire from outside, which was my point all along, and Gaughan/Graham will be a potent combo.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Well, not really. Don Kausler took Ian Rapoport's job when he went to the Boston Herald to cover the Patriots. Kausler's still with The Birmingham News. Gentry Estes was the Mobile Press-Register's Alabama beat writer, and he left to cover Georgia for 24/7 probably a year after Rapoport, his al.com colleague, left Birmingham. Izzy Gould replaced Estes, and this is his spot that's open.

So, to do it in Internet-y flow chart fashion:

Ian Rapoport --> Don Kausler
    Gentry Estes -----> Izzy Gould --> New hire

At least, that's my understanding of it.

6. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Settle down, fellas. No minority or woman will get this job unless they absolutely have the chops to do the job right.

7. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

With no disrespect intended here, but the part where you say "While I will be thrilled if the most qualified candidate turns out to be a minority or woman" might not be encouraging to the white males applying for this job.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't mean to put words in his mouth, but I think Randy would be thrilled regardless of whom the best ends up being. That's how job searches work.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The first person they're bringing it is neither a minority nor a woman...

And would be a very good hire...

10. DJ Dunson

DJ Dunson New Member

Anybody hear anything about who got the gig, if anyone yet, or is interviewing? I'm new to the site. I applied. Probably won't get it but I'm trying to follow the bread trail you know, hopefully take the person's job who gets this one you know lol

11. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Mizzougrad, not sure if that is anything to brag about, but okay ... lol!

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was just saying that the person who posted that this hire would likely be a woman or a minority appears to be misinformed.

The guy interviewing is from the Knoxville paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted