1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mobile Press-Register Alabama beat reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Randy Kennedy, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

You're accusing the guy doing the hiring of committing an illegal act. I happen to know the guy. He is a pro. I don't think he would do that. You're leveling an awfully charged allegation with nothing to back it up, and as Black Dude said, poisoning the well in the case they do hire a minority or female for this job. It's a dick move all the way around.

2. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Point of Order, all I can say is interesting. I don't believe a newspaper or the person hired gives a care what of you guys think about the hire. Hate to break it to you but you don't matter. But keep thinking it because it's rather entertain. Let's stay tuned.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Tuned for what?

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

More eloquence.

5. I think he's saying, "Wait until they hire a minority, then you can all congratulate me for being right."

When, in fact, he'd still be wrong, and he'd also be tremendously insulting to the person hired and the person doing the hiring.

6. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

See in trying to seem fair you guys are sort of showing your true colors. The fact that it is a minority hire and that a news organization sets out to fill a job with a minority should not imply that person's skills are inferior to the rest of the field. I'm sure some of you need to feel that way but that isn't the case. You hire the best and we all know that is rarely the case for most job openings. Far more times than not a field of more qualified minorities is overlooked in favor of hiring a friend or on the encouragement of a friend. I never hear complaints then. Just great hire. He's a stud. Blah, Blah Blah. Diversity is important guys and I know you don't want to hear that. Chances are ESPN doesn't have the embarrassment it had with the Chink in the Armour flap if they were more diverse on the editing side. Let's hope the Mobile paper does the right thing and at least looks at a diverse pool of candidates unlike most of the openings we've seen recently. We will see.

7. Actually you seem to be the only one implying that.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

First off, I don't think any minority hired will be inferior. The fact that many along here are WASP or WASPish and male, tend to make many arguments one-sided, especially on this subject.
    This is a good gig and if Scoop's information is correct, will be great for anyone. The fact that they are hoping o fill it with a minority is outstanding news. Players of color often wonder why they don't see more reporters of color or why many women appear only prepared to do puff feature stories.
    I'm sure the person who gets this gig will be more than qualified for the position.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

What Drip said ...

rb

10. Randy Kennedy

Randy Kennedy New Member

A quick update on the position.
    I have heard from several dozen people interested in the job and I am still very open to hear from others.
    While I will be thrilled if the most qualified candidate turns out to be a minority or woman, no candidate will be disqualified from consideration based on his or her race or gender.
    -- Randy Kennedy

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd be curious if Saban and Thompson have any kind of relationship these days. Saban fucking hated Wright when he was covering LSU, probably because Wright did an amazing job on that beat.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

All I know is one of the next two people in this slot will be sad when the Bills job is the only one left in the AFC East.

Draft saved Draft deleted