1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mobile Press-Register Alabama beat reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Randy Kennedy, Feb 15, 2012.

1. I'M HIRED!!

2. disgruntledgrunt

disgruntledgrunt New Member

If they want a different perspective than readers are used to, they can start by eliminating fawning overwritten homerism. Then worry about race and/or gender.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just be glad you don't have to cover the church luncheon beat.

4. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Literally, the worst crap I've ever had to cover. Not specifically that by name, but calling stories about random people who are so-so cooks and stories about what the church is doing this week to raise money "Features" is ridiculous.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Guess I should stick with selling steak knives.

6. Way to be an asshole.

7. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Wright Thompson was a 20-something when he went to cover Saban at LSU. Worked out OK for him.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's great news. Good luck to all who apply.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's never great news when a company systematically removes X percent of its applicant pool based on the color of their skin or their sex.

There are about 23,000 ways to bring a different perspective to things, race and sex sometimes (but not even always) being two of the 23,000.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Consider the source of the info.

11. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Point of Order, I am hurt. But I offer that you consider the source who is considering the source.

12. Scoop, assuming you're being sincere and not just trolling, what point are you trying to accomplish? If a minority is hired, it seems you are doing him or her a tremendous disservice by implying that the search was limited in some way.

I don't believe you're accurate, for what it's worth. If a minority is hired it will because he or she is an outstanding candidate.

Draft saved Draft deleted