1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mobile Press-Register Alabama beat reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Randy Kennedy, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

20-something and scared to cover Nick Saban, huh? You should try covering courts or cops sometime.

2. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Don't be scared of Saban. Make Saban scared of you!

3. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I did cover a cops beat once. Absolutely crazy. Especially considering the area was unbelievably littered with meth.

But, yes, I'm not mature enough as a writer to take this kind of job. Would I cover UAB? Yeah, I could handle the lower-pressure setting there. But a job like this requires someone who is mature, understands the business and can be on top of Saban's staff.

I am not ready for that type of pressure.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Way to strive for mediocrity.

5. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

That's fair. I'm just taking exception to covering Nick Saban being characterized as "scared for your life" compared to some of the other shit people cover in this business.

6. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I'm not "striving for mediocrity". I am simply learning my trade from others who have done more and much better than I have. When I feel I have achieved the level of those such as Izzy Gould, I will then worry about going after those huge gigs.

At this stage in my life? No way.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Just want to check. Is this an entry-level position?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Big shoes to fill....

Covering a coach like Saban may be difficult, but it will make you a better reporter. I covered a couple coaches early in my career and while it made my life miserable for a period of time, it made everything seem easy when I was fortunate enough to cover a coach who was sane.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

I just want to say this is outstanding.

And now for something completely different...

11. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

I'm hearing they would like to fill this opening with a minority or woman, which generally knocks out this entire board. The want a different perspective than they or their readers are use to. Oh well!

12. ejhayes737

ejhayes737 Member

I'm black. There's a chance!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted