1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mobile hotspots?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JosephC.Myers, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Exactly.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You're seriously in the sticks, then. I bought my first Blackberry just for those instances and filed more than a few stories from some godawful remote locales. But that was seven years ago. Nowadays I'm looking into getting an iPhone with a tethering option since we're all Apple.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I live in the foothills and have no landlines coming into the property.
    We use Verizon MiFi for home use.
    It worked very well for a long time. Plugged it into a CradlePoint and it provided wifi access around the property.

Then they 'upgraded' us to their 4G model, and it has been a piece of crap since.
    Absolute crap.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Just found this out yesterday and wanted the board to know about it.

I have a very sweet deal through Kroger (iwirelesshome.com) in which I pay $25 a month per line for my wife and two older kids. They each get 200 minutes, unlimited text and 200MB of data. I pay $10 a month for my line and get 100 minutes/texts and 50MB of data, BUT I also get $1 toward my plan for every $100 I spend at Kroger. Because we shop there a lot, my phone is largely free.

All of our phones have the wifi hotspot capability, but iwireless charges an additional $10 per month to use that feature. However, I found an app yesterday that allows you to use that feature without paying the fee. The free app puts limits on your data (I haven't used it fully, yet), but the paid version has no limit and is only $7.95 for a permanent license. You can't get it on the google play market, so you have to go to the company's website (www.pdanet.co).

For any of you Android types paying for the tether feature on your phone, you might give this a go. What do you have to lose?

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, we got issued Motorola Droid Razors by the company, and then had to download the FoxFi (now PDANet) app.

But it works great. I've been to several high school games out in the boonies and haven't found a place yet where it doesn't work.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

50MB...

How much data does it take to tell someone to get off your lawn?

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I pay $170 a month for two Iphones, and my wife and I use 3.1 gigs on average

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Surprisingly, less than it takes to tell someone to pound sand up his ass.

9. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Fox Fi is great. Haven't used anything else in years. Used it in it's previous incarnation as PDAnet. It's why I'm a Droid and not an iPhone. I refuse to pay ATT and extra $20 per month to tether when I never use my full allotment of 2G anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted