1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mobile hotspots?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JosephC.Myers, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I stayed at a very nice hotel recently that had an expansive lobby with free wireless Internet access but charged for room access. This place also charged $10 for room service french fries.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Damn. I hope for that kind of money the fries could pick up an Internet signal.

I love some room service deals. You order a 7.95 burger and the bill is 15 bucks. Well, there's a service fee AND a delivery fee AND hotel taxes. But that doesn't include tip!

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It seems like the crappier the hotel, the better chance you have to get free wifi.

And I always carry an ethernet chord just in case I am in a remote part of the building.

4. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Thanks. I was thinking about replacing home internet with it as well, but it sounds like going the mobile hotspot route for that purpose wouldn't be worth it.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, I'm online from 6:30-7:45 a.m., then from like 7-11 or midnight. And I think it said you get 5000 page views or something on average. That's like a week's worth, MAYBE, for me.

6. JosephC.Myers

Yeah, I'm the same way. Going to have to do some investigating.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

It is probably worth it to sign up for a few hotel reward programs to snag some free wi-fi (understanding that OP said he was in the middle of nowhere).

Most hotels that have free internet make you use a code given at check - in to get it. I was desperate for a connection once and drove to a Hampton Inn where I sat in the parking lot and connected. I think the Hiltons have it set up where you can log in through your Hilton Honors account so I was able to grab a free signal in a pinch.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Things may work a bit differently where I am, but my smartphone can share its data connection with a PC. I've used it when my wi-fi's gone down to connect to my company's VPN when working from home, running several different applications. Speed-wise it's fine, and as I've only ever done it for a few hours, I've never seen any kind of hit on the bill (I have a 1GB data allowance that I don't tend to use much of).

I do that with the actual cord, rather than setting it up as a hotspot. As far as the computer's concerned, it's connected to an Ethernet hub.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If you're a freelancer, all your tech expenses are tax deductible. Look into an iPhone 4 (free w/contract and hotspot capable) with the lowest cost all-you-can-eat Verizon data plan.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No more unlimited data at Verizon.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I should have specified all-you-can-eat talk and text. The smallest data plan is 1G.

12. JosephC.Myers

It's sounding like if I want to do a mobile hotspot just for game nights or in rare instances, it'd be fine, but as a replacement for home internet, it wouldn't be worth it financially since I do a lot of surfing.

Draft saved Draft deleted