1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mobile hotspots?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JosephC.Myers, Feb 23, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But you will find that before you find a Panera Bread.

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

My iPhone4 (on Rogers network, Canada) doesn't have the hotspot enabled due to the fact my carrier sucks. My wife has the same phone on another carrier (Bell) and can wireless hotspot for no extra charge.

Anyhow, to get around this I found a few apps that use a Bluetooth connection to transfer files from the work iPad I use on the road to my iPhone. Then I use my normal data to send my story and photos in. It's a bit more complicated but works in a pinch.

For those who think that using a wireless hotspot just to file will eat up data, that's completely false. The amount of data to send a simple text email (no photos) is negligible. If you're regularly sending photos or using the hotspot to download files that's a different story. But even mild internet browsing plus sending emails shouldn't be a problem.

Bottom line, if you already have a smartphone, it'll work. If you don't, perhaps you could convince your work to spring for one, or at least pay the monthly bill for it as mine does.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He said he freelances, so that's not an option.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but using the phone to connect a computer to the Internet requires much more data than that of sending the necessary e-mail.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

AT&T has some go-phones that can be enabled as hotspots. You're probably looking at $100 or so to upgrade.

5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

The hotspot merely acts as a router, routing the data from one place to another. The amount of data doesn't change.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My work has an AT&T "puck." My boss said it's $50 a month. I used it at my house one night/day because my wireless is RIDICULOUSLY unstable. It was amazing and I decided to look into one. For your purposes, the base would probably be enough. But if I was going to replace my home internet with it, it's not financially viable since it measures data.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

I thought this thread was about where to find a good time in south Alabama.

8. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My current joint was Internet-less for a year so I got a Verizon "my-fi," which is a little smaller than a deck of cards. Power it up, turn it on and you can connect five devices to it. Goes anywhere and costs the same as the air card that goes into one computer. As long as it can pick up a signal from your carrier, you can get Internet. I took it on the road to beat the absurd rates some hotels charge. Used it in trains. Still keep it for those instances even though my place has FIOS now.

If you are watching a lot of video, you can go through your monthly allotment quickly. But for normal I-net use, it works fine. We even sprung for a couple for our reporters.

http://www.willhackforsushi.com/images/verizon-mifi-2200.jpg

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

What kind of hotels do you stay in? The few times I go on the road, the ones I've been in (Doubletree, Comfort Inn, etc) have free wifi.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I just came off an 8-day road trip where I stayed in three hotels: A Best Western (much nicer than I would have guessed and FREE wifi), a Doubletree (not free but I snagged a code) and a Holiday Inn Express (free)

The hotel I used to use in New York charged 14.95 a day but that also included free phone usage. Which I didn't need. The hotel I now use in NYC has free wifi.

More and more hotels are going to free. Some still charge.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Last time I was on the road for a job, Marriotts were $14.95 or $19.95 a day. I think Courtyard was free, but I'm not positive. But Marriotts themselves, and I think one or two other of their properties, were still charging. Course, that was like two years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted