1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mobile hotspots?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JosephC.Myers, Feb 23, 2013.

1. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

This issue might be covered in another thread or perhaps another part of the forums. If so, please let me know and I'll be glad to take a look at it. If not, here goes....
    I'm a freelancer and in my various wanderings to different places to cover stories, I sometimes find it hard to get a wireless connection to be able to e-mail my story (or stories) into the office. This is especially true when it comes to high schools.
    My question is this: Do a lot of y'all use mobile hotspots to ensure you have wireless access pretty much anywhere and if so, what service do you use and how much will it cost me? This is something I've been thinking on for a while and am wanting to take the plunge. Any help y'all can give me would be appreciated.
  2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My last two newsrooms have supplied Verizon air cards for staff members that worked really well.
  3. JosephC.Myers

Pardon my total ignorance (and try not to laugh too hard when you read my question), but the air cards are the things you plug into the USB port or another part of the computer and it gets you wireless access from anywhere?
  4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yes, an air card looks like a flash drive with a small antenna. Now that I think about it, though, my previous newsroom had Verizon, and the current one has Sprint.
  5. JosephC.Myers

That's exactly what I was talking about. Couldn't think of how to phrase it. I'll have to check with Sprint. Verizon seemed pretty expensive for a relatively small download ability, but maybe it's just me.
  6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I am guessing any of these options will be very expensive. Think about it: You're getting internet access (for one computer) from anywhere. In our office, you have to check the air cards out with a set return date, and the office administrator starts pestering you if you're even a day late.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Some (maybe all?) smartphones have the capability of being used as mobile hotspots. You just have to configure it in your settings.
    Probably not smart to use it that way unless you have an unlimited data plan though, unless it's a dire emergency.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Clear and some others have prepaid options that are pretty cheap. Also, many smart phones have hotspot options that, for a fee, let them become hotspots. I have a dinky prepaid plan through Kroger (iwirelesshome.com) and for $10 (extra) a month I can make my phone into a hotspot.
  9. JosephC.Myers

I have an AT&T GoPhone ($50 per month for unlimited talk and text, I don't need a lot of doo-dads), but I don't think they have an option to make my phone a hotspot.
  10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You would need a smart phone with a data plan to use that option, and you would use up that data plan quickly by doing so. If you have unlimited data, then it's the perfect solution. In your case, you would have to buy a new phone then increase your monthly bill substantially.
  11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

12. JosephC.Myers

Hard to do that when you're out in the middle of nowhere.
Draft saved Draft deleted