1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mobile Broadband Cards/Other Internet Options

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dyno, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm trying to help out an untech savvy older relative, who has been stuck with dial-up internet and cannot take another minute of it. She has DirecTV and is not willing to give that up. I know that DirecTV's internet service is terrible, so that's not an option. She refuses to deal with the cable company, so cable modem is a no go. DSL and FIOS are not options, either.

All of which makes me think her only option is a mobile broadband card. She uses a laptop and does a bit of travel. She's not going to be downloading any huge files, like music or movies or playing online games. She may occasionally need to download or upload large photo files (4 MB or so). She does a fair amount of internet surfing and emailing.

Can anyone with a card weigh in with pros/cons? Estimates on usage? I think she should get a 5GB plan, but am wondering if she's going to be in danger of going over her allowance since she'll be using this as her sole internet connection.

Any advice anyone can offer would be great.

Draft saved Draft deleted