1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MN state hockey tournament - 2010 edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rosie, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Re: MN state hockey tournament

My first tournament experience was in 1996, which featured the famous Apple Valley vs. Duluth East semifinal that went five overtimes and ended at 1:40 a.m. Apple Valley wins with goalie Karl Goehring (who would later win a national title with North Dakota) making something like 63 saves. It was one of the greatest games of any sport I've ever witnessed. One image that will always stick with me was the exhausted players sitting on the ice with their backs against the boards during a between-OT break. They were just spent, yet they went all out when the game resumed. The two teams went at each other the entire time; nobody played not to win. If I remember right, there were three 15-minute regulation periods followed by: 8-minute OT (resurface) 15-minute OT, 8-minute OT (resurface), 15-minute OT, game-winning goal came in another 8-minute OT.

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Your final score of the evening: St. Cloud Cathedral 3, Blake 1.

Next up, Class AA quarterfinals at 11 a.m. tomorrow.

And of course, I have to work tomorrow. :(

Time to DVR it. :)

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Thanks for the updates, Rosie.

Who do my Rams get to destroy tomorrow?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It lost luster for me the year Minnetonka lost in four overtimes -- the last one played the next day after the MSHSL suspended play after the third overtime so it could start the last game of the day at a reasonable hour.
    Minnetonka controlled play and couldn't get pastthe opposing goalie (Hill Murray, maybe?), something like 60 shots on goal and 48 in the last three periods and OT. Come back the next morning to resume the game and three minutes later, it's over.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This is probably a stupid question but can you watch the games online?

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You could the last couple years, for a nominal fee, but I forget the site...

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I remember that game, Slap. Seems to me it was 1985, I know I was living in Duluth at the time.

Roseau will play Blaine, the same team they played in the outdoor game in February on Lake of the Woods.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

JR, from the High School League site:

Television
    KSTC TV, Channel 45, will televise all championship-round games live. All of the televised games will also be streamed on the Web. For specific cable channel coverage and details about purchasing the Web stream, visit www.KSTC45.com.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Rosie,
    Thanks.
    I'm gonna tune in.

11. Re: MN state hockey tournament

This and the Kentucky boys basketball tournament probably are the best two prep events in the country. Maybe the California state wrestling meet.

Indiana and Illinois basketball tourneys used to be in this pantheon, but no longer. Too many classes.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

What about the Iowa state wrestling tournament?

Draft saved Draft deleted