1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MN state hockey tournament - 2010 edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rosie, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Just a heads-up for my fellow puckheads not in Minnesota.

The arguably best high school tournament in the country started today.

Today are Class A quarterfinals, tomorrow are Class AA quarterfinals.

Both northern teams won this afternoon: Duluth Marshall 2, Mankato-West 1; Warroad 4, Litchfield-Dassel-Cokato 0.

Tomorrow, undefeated Roseau will take on Blaine in one of four games at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Re: MN state hockey tournament

Let's go Rams!

3. Re: MN state hockey tournament

Best high school tournament in the country, hands down. People in Indiana will hate me for saying that, but it's true.

I went to Henry Sibley and we haven't been in it for years, but South St. Paul didn't make it either so I don't feel too bad this year. However, when did Woodbury get good?

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

No, we won't hate you.

Indiana screwed up its basketball tournament 10 years ago. Now, it's arguably less popular than the state football tournament.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

From the High School League's advance press release:

"The Royals of Woodbury return for their second consecutive and overall appearance. They placed sixth last year and are ranked No. 11 in this year’s final poll."

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Rosie,
    Is Class AA the highest level?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yup, just two levels, A and AA.

Roseau -- the defending state champs -- is a tiny school that plays up against the big schools.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So, this is the hs tournament that packs 'em in, right? Like 10,000 at some games.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Roseau and Warroad are neighboring towns, but Roseau plays AA and Warroad plays A. Rumor has it that is so they don't have to play each other in the Section final each year and so there's a better chance that one or both make it to State.

That's the rumor.

As Zeke answered for me ;) , AA is the highest class. Until 1991 (or was it 92, I'm too lazy to look it up right now), the tourney was a single-class event with eight teams. That was even better than today's two-class extravaganza.

I sure wish I could be in St. Paul this week!

Try 18,000 plus for attendance, per session for the championship rounds. Two sessions each day, afternoon and evening.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Rosie,
    That sounds fabulous.
    Add that tourney to the list of things I want to do before I die.

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

My first tourney that I went to was back in 1981 at the old St. Paul Civic Center. As gorgeous as the Xcel is, a part of me still misses those old clear boards.

Just nothin' like the state tournament.

And JR, you come for the tourney, I will meet up with you and buy you a beer at the Gopher Bar.

Right now, second period, St. Thomas Academy and Little Falls are tied at two. Little Falls was just awarded a penalty shop which was played well and stopped by the Cadets goalie.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

St. Thomas Academy wins, 5-3, over Little Falls.

St. Cloud Cathedral is now playing Blake, 0-0, early in the first.

Draft saved Draft deleted