1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MMQ: Some NFL players/coaches lash out at fantasy FB

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mpcincal, Aug 30, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure the players complaining about Fantasy Football have something better to do...like complaining about their Madden player rating.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dick, 90 or more percent of the people watching baseball don't do it with your level of "intellectual curiosity" either, so that's really a non-starter. I find football strategies to be far more complex than baseball.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That might be true, but the attention span required to be a casual fan is much more tailored to short attention span America than baseball is. You have to check in with baseball every day.

Baseball is "The Wire." Football is "Law and Order."

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Late to the party.

Look, if the fantasy-addled fan wants to think Kyle Orton is better than Matt Ryan ... that's OK. People in the know can cluck their tongues and shake their heads, but it just doesn't matter.

If somebody likes Mike Tolbert better than Matt Forte because of his red-zone numbers, it's just the way they look at the game. Not worse, not better, just the way it is.

And the players make plenty of money to, among other things, be judged and debated upon by the public. In Kurt Warner's instance, he just should have kept playing his game and invest in some ear plugs if he didn't like people getting on him for not throwing enough TD passes.

Arian Foster ... he's a rather intelligent guy, but he tends to get it mixed up in overthinking things.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't know why you have to like one at the expense of the other.

I'm more of a college football fan than NFL, and there's certainly more at stake on a game-by-game basis in football than there is in baseball.

When I watch baseball (unless it's a key division game or it's the playoffs) I tend to multi-task (reading, cleaning house, surfing the Internet), whereas I'm living and dying with every play in most football games my team plays.

Still, I care immensely whether or not my baseball team (the Braves) wins on a daily basis. But by the nature of the game's structure, I don't hang on every pitch.

6. LongTimeListener

We get it. You believe football is for mouth-breathers and baseball is for poets.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, no, no. I don't think that completely captures it. I just think, from a casual fan's standpoint, you can't dismiss how much football's pace - weekly - has to do with its popularity. It's event viewing. Baseball probably would be, as well, if they played once a week in the fall.

All I'm saying is that I think there are a lot of reasons that football is an entertainment behemoth beyond just the sport itself, which is really no better or worse than any others.

8. jr/shotglass

No, basketball is for mouth-breathers and baseball is for poets. :)

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

And give me the NBA over both of them. And I realize I'm in the minority. Not sure which HBO show or female performer it'd be equivalent to, though. Maybe 1st & 10?

10. LongTimeListener

I can't argue with that.

Anyway I would be a mouth-breathing poet because I like football and baseball, but come to think of it I like The Wire and Law & Order, 2 1/2 Men and The Sopranos ... I guess I'm multicultural, a Renaissance caveman.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

If you're watching preseason games to scout for your fantasy team, you're finishing in last place.

12. jr/shotglass

Definite rookie mistake. And you can be sure somebody is going to spend a fourth-round pick on the free-agent rookie who runs for 87 second-half yards in the final preseason game.

Draft saved Draft deleted