1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MMQ: Some NFL players/coaches lash out at fantasy FB

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mpcincal, Aug 30, 2011.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Baseball is for dorks. Always has been.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Agree with shockey.

I am calling bull on all the posts I see that fantasy or gambling made the NFL the undisputed number 1.

What was the #1 rated television program in all america last week? A preseason NFL football game. There were no fantasy implications. Nobody was betting on it. Starters didn't even play a half.

Football would be king in this country with or without gambling or fantasy.

3. poindexter

Really? What sport was supplanting the NFL in December 1993?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Growing up, I loved baseball. Now, I hate it.

I think it's one of those things that covering the sport really ruined it for me.

Fortunately that didn't happen with the NFL, college hoops or college football.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes there were. People are watching to scout for their fantasy draft.

6. poindexter

Yeah, right.

And the 11 NFL postseason games are pretty much among the highest rated tv shows of the year. Zero fantasy implications.

Unless people are watching it to scout for next year.

7. Dick Whitman

I acknowledged the event draw of football, as well. Kind of like the NCAA tournament. People love one-and-done. The NFL is the perfect sport for short attention span America.

I think we can all pretty much agree on this: Football is our lowest common denominator sport. Baseball is for the thinking, discerning fan who wants a little bit more from his game of choice. Football is Britney Spears. Baseball is Alicia Keys. Football is Nickelback. Baseball is the Beatles. No shame in being any of them, but we should be able to separate art from commerce.

8. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Fantasy football is D&D for adults, rubbing out the boundary between nerd and non-nerd.

You're all geeks for playing.

I have never experienced any "game" so joyless.

9. poindexter

The fuck we can...

You consult with the Baron for those analogies?

10. Dick Whitman

Like I said. There's no shame in it. Football is "Two and a Half Men." Baseball is "The Sopranos." Football doesn't require the time commitment nor the intellectual commitment of baseball. Not that some people don't put that into it. I don't doubt that there are football fans who enjoy the nuances of the game as much as baseball fans enjoy the nuances of theirs. But I think the football passion in this country has much more to do, overall, with the way it fits into our lifestyles than the lure of the sport itself. And, of course, how conducive it is to gambling. That most of all.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

WTF has happened with your analogies today.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Analogy outing alert: Dick Whitman is not George Carlin.

Draft saved Draft deleted