1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MMA Promotion Signs Prime Time Network TV Deal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Inky, you may be right. I'd love to sit down and go over each PPV card and see what the ratio of submssions/decisions to KOs is. Unfortunately, time is an issue. But, it's an interesting question.
    I don't think I worded it correctly, but I think my overall point was boxing is almost exclusively blows to the head, while MMA features a lot more options and there's fewer headshots.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The problem is one of perception among casual fans and non-fans, and it's brought about by the MMA promotions themselves.

Flip on SpikeTV and you might see "50 Greatest UFC Knockouts." I have yet to come across "50 Greatest UFC Submissions." (It might exist, but I've yet to see it.)

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The criticisms of MMA I have are backed up by facts I've already posted, other than my personal feeling that it's boring as fuck.

I mean, am I wrong that MMA is the province of networks like Spike that cater to younger white men? Am I wrong that black fighters have been booed by white fans during bouts? Am I wrong that MMA's audience, and the majority of its fighters, are predominantly white?

If you choose to ignore those facts out of your devotion to the sport, you're blind and dishonest. And if you think MMA is going to slip into the mainstream without these facts (and the violence) being addressed at some point, you're ignorant.

But of course, anyone who points that stuff out, would just be an ignorant columnist with nothing else to write about. ::)

4. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Give me some examples of black fighters being boo'ed because of their race.
    I gave you two examples (Quinton Jackson and Kimbo Slice) who have garnered a ton of mainstream coverage and are two of the most popular fighters on the current MMA scene. In fact, Jackson received a number of cheers after he defeated Chuck Liddell, who is as white as they come. And, despite the fact I think Kimbo Slice is a joke, he nearly blew the roof off the arena when he knocked out Tank Abbott, a white guy with a big name.
    I've been watching MMA for over a decade and I've seen fighters boo'ed because they're boring, or they're arrogant, or they make excuses when they lose. But, I've never seen a fighter boo'ed because of the color of their skin.

Yes, SpikeTV caters to the younger white male demographic. The network was looking for programming a few years ago, UFC was desperately seeking a TV outlet and the two came together on a deal. No one else was offering UFC a deal at the time. Now, network television is getting into the act. SHOWTIME airs EliteXC. Fox Sports airs "Pride FC" reruns. MyNetworkTV used to air "International Fight League." Do all those networks just cater to young, white males?

I want you to give me examples of white fans booing black fighters, specifically because they're black.
    I will agree with you on one thing. The majority of the audience is younger, white males. But how is that any different than hockey, auto racing and tennis (i.e. other white male dominated sports)? How is it different that the NBA focuses on the young black male demographic?
    All aspects of entertainment/sports usually focus on a demographic. MMA is no different.
    But, I think your implications that the fans of the sport have underlying racial issues is way off base. I'm sure there are some scattered examples that contradict my opinion. But, for the most part, I've seen nothing at live shows or on television to indicate fans root based on the skin color of the fighters.
    And, if you know differently, give me specific examples.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Google up "MMA racism" or "MMA black fighters booed". It's happened.

6. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

Bubbler, I generally think you're a bright guy and I enjoy reading your often humorous posts, but I do have to address some of the things you've written on this thread.

I understand if you think it's boring. It's certainly not for everyone. But some of the things you say are very wrong.

Actually, the sport is very global. There are fighters from all over the world involved. Americans, Canadians, Brazilians, Japanese, French, British. It's quite the melting pot.

For example, on tonight's UFC card, there are 20 fighters. 3 are black (one's a Brazilian, one an American, one a Frenchman). There's an Italian (from Rome, not Long Island), a Swede, a Belarussian, another Brazilian. 8 of the 20 fighters are not from the US, and arguably the two most popular on the card (Anderson Silva and Andrei Arlovski) are non-American.

Since you asked so nicely ... ironically, Bruce Lee is considered the father of mixed martial arts. His Jeet Kune Do discipline was developed because he felt traditional martial arts techniques like karate and judo were way too formulaic to be practical in a legitimate fight. Much like current mixed martial artists, he had a vast interest in the practicality of the disciplines he was learning.

You're quoting Bob Arum as proof? Bubbler, you're a bright guy, but this is like quoting the pope on abortion statistics. It's a spin. Yes, the demo skews towards young males, but when Chuck Liddell's book makes the NY Times bestseller list, I think it's safe to assume there is a little more at play here.

I have been to many, many MMA shows, and I have never seen a fighter booed based on his race. I repeat, never. I have heard "USA" chants when an American fights a non-American (Hughes-St. Pierre). I have heard good fighters booed when they were fighting a crowd favorite (Rampage-Liddell), and I have heard great fighters booed if they were putting on a snoozer (Arlovski), but to suggest there's some sort of institutionalized racism is at play is an unfair charge. MMA fans are just like any other sports fans; they just want to be entertained. Are there a few idiots in any crowd? Yes, just like every other sporting event. Please don't use a few as an indictment on the majority.

The sport is covered on FoxSports.com, CBSSports.com, ESPN.com, MSNBC.com, Yahoo.com. UFC has sponsorship deals with Bud, Burger King, Harley-Davidson and more. EliteXC signed a deal with CBS. Randy Couture has snagged several movie roles. I'd say they've already slipped into the mainstream. Are they on the level of NFL, MLB, etc.? No, but it's popularity can't be denied.

7. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

That's your answer? Google?
    I could type the word "racism" and pair it with nearly any entity in the world and you'd get matches.

By the way, I also Google'd "alien abductions," "JFK conspiracy," "9/11 conspiracy," "Bigfoot" and "The Loch Ness Monster."
    I guess all those are true because when you google it, results come up.
    Brilliant.

8. Inky_Wretch

It's impossible to discuss MMA's popularity because there's no good measuring stick out there.

Buyrates of PPVs don't give you a good measure of it. This CBS deal will finally give us an idea of how many people are interested in the sport. Put up a huge number and AP might finally start moving copy on it. Put up a low number ... well, then we know it's nothing but a niche sport.

9. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

True about the PPV numbers, but neither do I think we can judge on it CBS alone. There will be other factors included how well CBS promotes the show. That said, EliteXC has been around for all of 10 shows, so they don't exactly have the established fan base of UFC. That is a big part of the equation too.

10. Inky_Wretch

It would be interesting to see what UFC would put up on one of the big four networks. But White's arrogance will prevent that from ever happening.

11. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

well done.

12. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

You've gone on and on about the racism of the sport, and if that really is an epidemic, then sure that'd be a problem. I just don't think the case.

But the other thing you've harped on is how this appeals to a specific demographic, namely young, white males. My question: who cares? How diverse is the NHL's audience? NASCAR? Baseball?

It'd be one thing if there some segregation going on in the sport or something, but as other have pointed out, the UFC is pretty diverse, particularly at the top level of the organization. So I just don't see where you are going with your point.

Draft saved Draft deleted