1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MMA agate

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, May 31, 2009.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Is there an official AP form to MMA results? I did a google search quickly and looked on here to no avail.
    We had a local event last night and instead of running all the names in the story, just running it as agate.
    Right now, I am running them like I would high school wrestling?
    Is this Kosher?

Here is an example:
    205 — Morgan Regnier def. Tommy Abney, :49 (Guillotine)
    185 — Jimmy Pop def. Mike Lyons, :11 (KO)

Si?, No?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Push comes to shove, I would use a combination of wrestling and boxing style.

Instead of Guillotine, for example, use submission.

3. thesnowman

thesnowman Member

Submission is too vague. It should be obvious that anything not labeled KO or TKO is a submission. Stick with guillotine, triangle choke, kimura, etc.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I can see your point, and I'm assuming the reason Spike's running this is because of the popularity and knowledge of the sport in his area, but at the same time an average reader might wonder what the more precise terms mean.

You wouldn't think they'd believe a beheading device would be legal in this type of thing, but with our readers, you never know. ;D

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I put Guillotine choke, Rear-naked choke, triangle armbar, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions though

6. thesnowman

thesnowman Member

Funny stuff. And sorry to undermine you there GB :D

I was raised on a "write for a specific audience" mentality, which is why I would have gone the route Spike did. But you have a very good point too. My preference would be to write the story/agate in question for the MMA audience and maybe run a sidebar of some type (either before OR after the event) explaining the submissions or other sport-specific jargon.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

No need to apologize, you certainly had a valid point. Like what you did with it Spike.

Draft saved Draft deleted