1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLS ESPN Thurs Night Soccer Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Apr 19, 2007.

?

How long before you fall asleep watching MLS

1. 1 Minute

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 5 Minutes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Clipped toenails instead

40.0%
  4. Feel asleep during intro and woke up to Chuck Norris Infomercial that was more entertaining

20.0%
  5. Watched entire game and now my eyeballs are bleeding

40.0%
  1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So did Kansas City.

Homework, please.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think they still need to get the work permit worked out for Schelotto. However, once he's on the field, he'll be a great guiding hand for the youth pastor pointed out.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So? Still an aberration. That will balance out a few nil scores. There will be many, many more nil and one-goal efforts than four goals; surely you're not so apologist as to say otherwise.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The Crew will have the beauitfully named Ricardo Virtuoso on the left flank, if that helps.
    Virtuoso looked good in his appearances last year, but endured an injury-plagued season.
    You digging this, Boom?

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

If I remember right, they were dancing in Chicago because of the nils that were posted on the scoreboard last night.
    Am I wrong about that?

6. dooley_womack1

Nah. In baseball, it's zeroes.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

All I'm saying is it would be nice if those who bash soccer did a little homework before they come on here and automatically dismiss the sport. Obviously there are some who think since it's soccer it must be crap.

In hockey, baseball or football if a shutout occurs, it is reason for celebration. One teams defense/goaltending/pitching is great.

In soccer, it's reason for the sport to be shut down.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Imagine how much better this board could be if we didn't have Boom starting 20 dumbass threads a week.

9. dooley_womack1

I'm on solid ground. A team scoring zero or one goal is much more frequent than a team scoring four. Surely you're not going to dig up something that says otherwise. And do your homework. I've said I like soccer played at a high level. To me, MLS doesn't come close to that. You may disagree, but I can watch games and know enough to tell the difference.

And your other stuff has some truth, except you neglect to mention that in these other sports, a little offense is sought as well. Your pitcher can be throwing a shutout, but baseball can't end 0-0. The U.S. market will not accept, at a football/MLB/NBA level of interest, a sport where nobody scoring isn't seen as alarming.

10. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

First of all a nil-nil or 1-0 game can be just as exciting if not more so than a high scoring affair. Heck the only reason I had so much fun watching Manchester destroy Roma was 1) it was against an Italian team, 2) all eight goals were beauty strikes, and 3) you wanted to see how many they could get.

That being said there have been 17 1 or 0 goal performances through two weeks and 7 performances of 2 or more goals.

Personally I'd rather watch a dramatic 1-0 game than a poorly defended 4-2 game any day.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sorry this took a little while to type, but after the first word a guy took the mouse from me and I sprawled on the floor as if my leg was broken, crying for something to happen. The ref called a foul, and with my crippled right leg I was helped out of my office.

Thirty seconds later my leg was all better!!!!

I do this three or four times during the day. Sometimes it get the call, sometimes I do not.

I really like doing this because the game takes place on a massive field and only three referees are used. They can't see everything so I cheat like a little bitch.

It really could be a beautiful sport. In fact, I tried to get into the World Cup, but then I saw Paraguay dive and dive and cry and whine. I then puked.

I cannot think of another sport where you can get between the scoring area and the defender and be called for a foul. Hockey has the blue line I know, but it is very different.

Tough to respect a sport where defenders are running away from their own goal relying in the referee to call offsides, and in a sense, make the defensive play for them. There is something very Un-American about that.

12. dooley_womack1

I agree, MN Matt, on the international level you can have very exciting 1-0 games, the way a 1-0 baseball or hockey game can be exciting. The more I think about it, soccer is unique in being a sport more about process than outcome.

Draft saved Draft deleted